- THIRTY-THOUSAND FIREFIGHTERS ENTRUSTING YOU TO THIS ENORMOUS TASK. Harbour, Tom // Fire Management Today;Spring2006, Vol. 66 Issue 2, p9
Encourages firefighters in the U.S. to build a better future for wildland fire suppression in the country. Challenges facing firefighters in the performance of their wildland fire suppression duties; Need to develop a core operating system that relies on a solid, integrated framework of both...
- Fire Funds in Congress Talks. // Fire Chief;Oct2004, Vol. 48 Issue 10, p9
Focuses on congressional discussions for fire service funding in the U.S. in 2005. Senate appropriation for the Fire Act program; Budget for the Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response Firefighters Act of 2003; Supporters for the Safer Act funding proposed by the Senate.
- Blaze a Path Into Firefighting. Byrne, Paul // Career World;Sep2009, Vol. 38 Issue 1, p14
The article focuses on pursuing a career in firefighting. It outlines the annual earnings of the average fulltime firefighter in the U.S. It discusses the physically demanding test for firefighting candidates and the hands-on training provided to hired firefighters. A description of the tasks of...
- Fire Commentary. Zapatka, Robert E. // Fire Engineering;Nov2005, Vol. 158 Issue 11, p104
This article presents information on the firefighters of the United States. According to an estimate there are more than one million firefighters in the United States today. Majority of these firefighters fall under the category of municipal firefighters. But apart from municipal firefighters...
- Wanted: Firefighters for a Changing World. Coleman, Ronny J. // Fire Chief;Oct2004, Vol. 48 Issue 10, p32
Looks at workforce difficulties in fire service in the U.S. Reduction of paid firefighters due to economic downturns; Sustainability issues in voluntary fire service; Determinants of diminishing enthusiasm for the profession.
- THE FIRE BIRDS. Hoffman, Carl // Popular Mechanics;Feb2008, Vol. 185 Issue 2, p70
The article presents information on various fire protection operations of the U.S. airtankers. It informs how tracker pilots Joe Satrapa and Scott Upton extinguished the Poomacha wild fire of San Diego County, California. It is reported that in the early 1930s, the first pilots to fight fires...
- COMING EVENTS. // Fire Engineering;Oct2009, Vol. 162 Issue 10, p146
A calendar of events related to firefighting in the U.S. in 2009 and 2010 is presented which includes the 64th Annual Florida Arson Symposium, 3rd Algeria Fire, Safety & Security Expo, and Colorado State EMS Conference.
- Hungerford VFD fights blaze with Wharton department. Halvorson, Barry // East Bernard Express (TX);2/26/2009, Vol. 66 Issue 9, p5
The article reports on the combined efforts of firefighters from the Wharton and Hungerford Volunteer Fire Departments in preventing the destruction of a Wharton area in February 2009 in Texas.
- News in Brief. // Fire Engineering;Sep99, Vol. 152 Issue 9, p44
Reports on developments concerning fire fighters and fire fighting in the United States as of September 1999. Includes the introduction of the Cardiac Arrest Survival Act of 1999; Recommendations issued by the Fire Fighter Fatality Investigation and Prevention Program; Merger of the Fairfield,...