- FEMA, IAFC, and NFPA fund Harvard fellowships. // Fire Engineering;Jul2000, Vol. 153 Issue 7, p42
Reports on the groups jointly funding a fellowship program for senior fire service executives at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Federal Emergency Management Agency's United States Fire Administration; International Association of Fire Chiefs; National Fire Protection Association.
- A Dangerous Dilemma. Markley, Rick // Fire Chief Exclusive Insight;3/1/2012, p5
The article discusses a study by National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) on the declining number of volunteer firefighters in the U.S. It cites concerns over said decline and the number of firefighters per 1,000 residents they protect. The study indicates a steady rise in the number of...
- NO EXCUSES. Morris, Gary P. // Fire Chief;May2005, Vol. 49 Issue 5, p46
Discusses the importance of promoting the safety of fire officers and recruits in preventing training-related deaths. Relevance of training activities in fire service; Standards and procedures for training set by the National Fire Protection Association; Responsibilities of a fire chief.
- PASSING CONCERNS. Careless, James // Fire Chief;Feb2009, Vol. 53 Issue 2, p30
The article discusses the Pass devices by the National Fire Protection Association in the 1982 Personal Alert Safety Systems. It states that the said enhancement relatively meets with positive reactions from fire chiefs and fire fighters. According to Scott Wolverton, chief safety officer at the...
- Phoenix Fire Department: Model of Wellness-Fitness. Fleming, James L.; Bollinger, Sharon L. // Fire Engineering;Dec2010, Vol. 163 Issue 12, p79
The article provides information on the wellness and fitness program developed by the International Association of Firefighters (IAFF) and the International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC) for U.S. firefighters in 2010. The author says that the IAFF/IAFC Wellness-Fitness Initiative (WFI) aims...
- NFPA: On-duty U.S. firefighter deaths reach 10-year peak. // Fire Engineering;Jul2000, Vol. 153 Issue 7, p40
Reveals that on-duty firefighter fatalities for 1999 in the United States were 112, according to a report by the National Fire Protection Association. Causes of fire fighter deaths; Dangers posed by the lack of on-scene accountability of personnel operating at the fireground; Largest proportion...
- NFPA 1720: THE FORGOTTEN STANDARD. Savia, Steven A. // Fire Engineering;Oct2001, Vol. 154 Issue 10, p26
Presents the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1720, a standard for volunteers. Definition of substantially volunteer; Publicity received; Implications of NFPA 1720.
- Sharp dip in firefighter deaths. // Industrial Safety & Hygiene News;Jul2011, Vol. 45 Issue 7, p14
The article focuses on the report released by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) in June 2011 which reveals that fatalities of firefighters on the job in the U.S. are at the lowest number in 2010 since they first conducted the study in 1977.
- NFPA, IAFC, NVFC Launch Health-and-Safety Video Contest. // Fire Chief Exclusive Insight;3/28/2012, p2
The article reports that the first Fire Service Video contest of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), with the theme "Rules You Can Live By," is co-sponsored by the International Association of Fire Chiefs and the National Volunteer Fire Council. Submissions of informative videos by...