Efficacy of an extract of North American ginseng containing poly-furanosyl-pyranosyl-saccharides for preventing upper respiratory tract infections: a randomized controlled trial
- A rare anomaly: 'hemitruncus'. Jayan, J. P. Praveen; Vijayalakshmi, Ishwarappa B.; Narasimhan, Chitra // Heart;Jun2011, Vol. 97 Issue 12, p1027
The article examines the case of a 7-year-old boy with a history of frequent respiratory tract infections in infancy and was diagnosed of hemitruncus.
- Upper Respiratory Tract Infection. Del Mar, Chris B. // American Family Physician;12/1/2002, Vol. 66 Issue 11, p2143
Part I. Presents information on upper respiratory tract infections. Definition; Incidence; Risk factors.
- Respiratory rite of passage visits this time every year. Powell, Dennis E. // Athens News;9/23/2013, p4
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience of getting the fog disease, an unknown respiratory ailment.
- Respiratory illness and home environment of ethnic groups. Melia, R.J.W.; Chinn, S.; Rona, R.J. // British Medical Journal (Clinical Research Edition);5/21/1988, Vol. 296 Issue 6634, p1438
Focuses on the prevalence of respiratory illness among ethnic groups in England. Enumeration of the factors differentiating the symptoms and diseases; Comparison on the prevalence of several conditions between Afro-Caribbeans and Asians; Explanation on the cause of the differences.
- Efficacy of COLD-fX in the Prevention of Respiratory Symptoms in Community-Dwelling Adults: A Randomized, Double-Blinded, Placebo Controlled Trial. McElhaney, Janet E.; Goel, Vinti; Toane, Benjamin; Hooten, Johnathan; Shan, Jacqueline J. // Journal of Alternative & Complementary Medicine;Mar2006, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p153
Background: COLD-fX (CVT-E002), a proprietary extract of the roots of North American ginseng ( Panax quinquefolium), rich in poly-furanosyl-pyranosyl-saccharides, has been found efficacious in the prevention of respiratory infections in institutionalized seniors and healthy adults. Objective: We...
- Intervention with educational outreach at large scale to reduce antibiotics for respiratory tract infections: a controlled before and after study. HM Smeets; MM Kuyvenhoven; AE Akkerman; I Welschen; GP Schouten; GA van Essen; TJM Verheij // Family Practice;Jun2009, Vol. 26 Issue 3, p183
Background. A multiple intervention targeted to reduce antibiotic prescribing with an educational outreach programme had proven to be effective in a randomized controlled trial in 12 peer review groups, demonstrating 12% less prescriptions for respiratory tract infections. Objective. To assess...
- Human Metapneumovirus, Australia, 2001-2004. Sloots, Theo P.; Mackay, Ian M.; Bialasiewicz, Seweryn; Jacob, Kevin C.; McQueen, Emily; Harnett, Gerald B.; Siebert, David J.; Masters, I. Brent; Young, Paul R.; Nissen, Michael D. // Emerging Infectious Diseases;Aug2006, Vol. 12 Issue 8, p1263
We examined 10,025 respiratory samples collected for 4 years (2001-2004) and found a 7.1% average annual incidence of human metapneumovirus. The epidemic peak of infection was late winter to spring, and genotyping showed a change in predominant viral genotype in 3 of the 4 years.
- Adult diagnosis of Swyer-James-MacLeod syndrome: a case report. // Journal of Medical Case Reports;2011, Vol. 5 Issue 1, p1
The article presents a case study of a 53-year-old Caucasian woman with Swyer-James-MacLeod syndrome. It is noted that after evaluation for recurrent respiratory infections, this disorder is diagnosed mostly in childhood. It is mentioned that Swyer-James-MacLeod syndrome is associated with...
- The role of airway stenting in pediatric tracheobronchial obstruction. Antón-Pacheco, Juan L.; Cabezalí, Daniel; Tejedor, Raquel; López, María; Luna, Carmen; Comas, Juan V.; de Miguel, Eduardo // European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery;Jun2008, Vol. 33 Issue 6, p1069
Abstract: Objective: Tracheobronchial obstruction is infrequent in the pediatric age group but it is associated with significant morbidity and mortality. The purpose of this study is to review the results of a single institution experience with endoscopic stent placement in children with benign...