HSBC's growth spurt?
- New Merger Wave Seen Under Way. PADGETT, TANIA // American Banker;6/1/1999, Vol. 164 Issue 103, p20
Presents a May 1999 roundtable discussion, sponsored by the `American Banker' magazine, focusing on bank mergers in the United States. Names of participants in the discussion; HSBC Holdings' plan to acquire Republic New York Corp.; Increase in bank merger deals in the US.
- HSBC Avoids Recutting Republic Deal, Fearful of Clash with Safra, Shareholders . WEIDNER, DAVID // American Banker;9/21/1999, Vol. 164 Issue 181, p1
Discloses the decision of HSBC Holding PLC not to renegotiate its deal to acquire the New York City-based bank Republic New York Corp. Fears of lawsuits from Republic shareholders; HSBC Holding's plan to stick to its wait-and-see strategy.
- HSBC wants to do it all after merger. Luhby, Tami // Crain's New York Business;05/17/99, Vol. 15 Issue 20, p3
Examines the acquisition of Republic New York Corp. by bank network HSBC Holdings. Opportunity offered by the merger for HSBC to provide a wide range of products to businesses and individuals; Plans of HSBC to become more aggressive in the New York market; Need for HSBC to effectively make two...
- HSBC Republic Expected to Discuss Early Findings of Scandal Probe Today. Weidner, David // American Banker;9/24/1999, Vol. 164 Issue 184, p24
Focuses on the decision of HSBC Holdings PLC and Republic New York Corp. to discuss the preliminary findings of law firm Sullivan & Cromwell's investigation into Republic's role in a securities fraud. Extent of Republic's potential liability the case; Schedule of the findings' presentation to...
- Republic N.Y.-HSBC Deal Hung Up on Fraud Liability. KRAUS, JAMES R. // American Banker;11/5/1999, Vol. 164 Issue 214, p18
Reports that Republic New York Corp. and HSBC Holdings PLC of London remain unable to agree on Republic's potential liability for losses from possible securities fraud by a Republic client. HSBC Holdings' agreement to pay Republic in May 1999 before the scandal broke; Difficulty in determining...
- HSBC's Planned Purchase of Republic N.Y. Seen Benefiting Both Companies' Bondholders. Keenan, Charles // American Banker;5/14/1999, Vol. 164 Issue 92, p24
Focuses on the bondholders' reactions to the planned acquisition of Republic New York Corp. by HSBC Holdings PLC. Downgrade of Republic's debt rating; Prices of Republic's bonds following the announcement.
- EU Approves HSBC's Deal for Republic N.Y. // American Banker;7/6/1999, Vol. 164 Issue 127, p30
Announces the European Union's approval of HSBC Holding's bid to buy Republic New York Corporation. Benefits of the deal for various agencies in New York and London.
- Week in Review. // Crain's New York Business;09/06/99, Vol. 15 Issue 36, p42
Takes a look at business news in and around New York City, for the week ended September 5, 1999. Includes delay in HSBC Holdings PLC's takeover of Republic New York Corp.; North Fork Bancorp's acquisition of Reliance Bancorp Inc.
- In Brief. // American Banker;01/04/2000, Vol. 165 Issue 2, p4
Reports on developments in the banking industry in the United States, as of January 4, 2000. Sun Trust Banks Inc.'s completion of its charter consolidation; Merger between HSBC Holdings and Republic New York Corp.