This Month in…
- Maryland Senate OKs Cigarette Tax Hike. Vekshin, Alison // Bond Buyer;4/5/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31359, p31
Reports on te Senate approval to increase the cigarette tax in Maryland. Increase in state spending on public schools; Price of a cigarette pack; State aid to local school system.
- Oregon Legislature Approves $12 Billion Budget. Finestone, Deborah // Bond Buyer;7/3/2002, Vol. 341 Issue 31421, p5
Reports the approval of the 2003 budget by the lawmarkers in Oregon. Increase of cigarette tax; Conversion of the school endowment fund; Reduction of the federal tax liability.
- Maryland approves $445 million in debt; hikes tax on tobacco. Meisler, Daniel // Bond Buyer;04/14/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30619, p36
Reports on the approval of Maryland legislators to issue $445 million worth of bonds and the proposal to increase cigarette tax. Additional revenue from bonds and tax increase by year 2000; Bonds to finance school construction.
- La Salle St. trophy tower faces default. Corfman, Thomas A. // Crain's Chicago Business;10/12/98, Vol. 21 Issue 41, p1
Focuses on the financial default of the One Financial Place office building in Chicago, Illinois which could transfer ownership to Travelers Insurance Co. Amount of unpaid debt incurred by the building's owners; Comments from the property's owners.
- The effects of excise tax differentials on the interstate smuggling and cross-border sales of... // Spectrum: Journal of State Government;Spring97, Vol. 70 Issue 2, p22
Comments on state excise taxes levied on cigarettes in the United States. Effects of increase of excise taxes; How states are profiting from tobacco sales; Reference to studies on excise taxes.
- Cigarette sales. Scarry, Donald M. // Business News New Jersey;12/01/97, Vol. 10 Issue 42, p2
Provides some basic data on per-capita cigarette sales in New Jersey. Growing interest in cigarette taxation in Trenton, New Jersey; Decline in cigarette sales from 1966 to 1996; Statistical projection of cigarette sales; Variables driving the decline in cigarette sales.
- Texas House Hikes Taxes On Cigarettes. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;4/28/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32370, p1
The article reports that the Texas House has approved a cigarette tax hike but rejected a proposal to issue bonds for schools. The bond measure was stripped from HB 5, which was primarily written to provide supplementary revenue to fund public education. The Texas Supreme Court in November 2005...
- MIDWEST Bond-Watch. // Bond Buyer;5/1/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31377, p47
Reports on economic developments in the U.S. as of May 2002. Marketing of the bonds of the Educational Advancement Fund Inc.; Approval of the supplemental school budget; Debate of the Senate on the increase in cigarette taxes.
- Oregon Governor Vetoes Cigarette-Tax Backed Debt for Schools. Finestone, Deborah // Bond Buyer;8/9/2002, Vol. 341 Issue 31446, p4
Reports the veto issued by Oregon Governor John Kitzhaber on bill about using cigarette tax revenue to secure bonds to fund schools. Approval of the lawmakers on the bill; Absence of the bill to secure adequate and sustainable funding for schools; Response of the lawmakers on the veto.