- Realising the renaissance. Luckey, James // International Power Generation;Sep2005, Vol. 28 Issue 5, p3
Focuses on issues concerning the use of nuclear power. Factors that contribute to the public's negative perception of nuclear energy; Estimated cost for decommissioning an old nuclear power plant in Great Britain; Role of industry leaders in the promotion of the benefits of nuclear power.
- British close controversial nuclear plant at astronomical cost. MacLeod, Alexander // Christian Science Monitor;6/8/98, Vol. 90 Issue 134, p7
Discusses the decision by British Prime Minister Tony Blair to shut down a nuclear power plant in Dounreay, Scotland. Estimates for the time necessary to close the plant and its cost; What must be done prior to the closing of the plant; Why the decommissioning process for nuclear plants is so...
- GERMAN NUKES TO BE RETIRED. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;11/06/2000, Vol. 245 Issue 18, p21
Reports the power shut down and decommissioning of the Stade and Mulheim-Karlich nuclear units in Germany. Objectives of the nuclear plant closure; Overview of the power generating capacities of the units to be shut down.
- Cost May Threaten Nuclear Power's Future. Cohen, Aaron M. // Futurist;May/Jun2009, Vol. 43 Issue 3, p16
The article discusses the impact of the increasing cost in nuclear power to its future. It notes that since nuclear power seems to be an expensive proposition, investing for its alternative energy may find it to be more cost-prohibitive. Such that it will include the prices for the...
- the engineer in brief. // Engineer (00137758);10/3/2011, Vol. 296 Issue 7825, p9
The article offers news briefs related to engineering in Great Britain as of October 2011 such as the funding round led by Imperial Innovation Group, alongside NESTA Investments and Invesco Perpetual, for Plaxica's development of the biopolymer called polylactic acid and the 109 million U.S....
- Plan to bring down Windscale plant. Greek, Dinah // Professional Engineering;02/24/99, Vol. 12 Issue 4, p14
Reports on the decommissioning of the Windscale nuclear power plant in Great Britain as of February 24, 1999. Background on the project; BNFL Magnox Generation's contract to complete the reactor dismantling; Project as an opportunity for British companies to learn lessons about nuclear power...
- Action stations. Wilks, Neil // Professional Engineering;07/19/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 14, p24
Reports that pragmatists in Great Britain believe that decisions on whether nuclear should be part of the future energy mix cannot be delayed much longer. Arguments for and against nuclear energy; Britain's difficulty in meeting carbon dioxide emission levels; Problems concerning the...
- Nuclear reality check. Lal, Hamish // Utility Week;2/29/2008, Vol. 28 Issue 18, p26
The article examines issues concerning the planned nuclear new-builds in Great Britain. It cites the various measures undertaken by the British government to reduce the regulatory uncertainty facing nuclear new-builds. It discusses key legal issues surrounding nuclear new-builds, including...
- The German nuclear exit: Introduction. Mecklin, John // Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists;Nov2012, Vol. 68 Issue 6, p6
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses articles within the issue on topics including the public reaction to the German government's decision to phase out nuclear power, the political and economic aspects of nuclear exit, and the historical context for Germany's nuclear shutdown.