10 years ago in the Profession
- Industry welcomes Shorten's consumer protection moves. Kennedy, Chris // Money Management;12/6/2012, Vol. 26 Issue 47, p3
The article reports on acceptance by the Financial Planning Association (FPA) of Australia Ltd. and the Association of Financial Advisers Ltd. over the proposed draft regulation by Financial Services Minister Bill Shorten that restricts the use of the terms financial planner and financial adviser.
- Rules of engagement. Tait, James // Money Marketing;3/6/2008, p62
The article presents the first part of a series of article which examines the implications of the legal issues towards independent financial advisors in Great Britain. It states that proper advice from qualified persons in the beginning of any business endeavor is the most suitable way of...
- Register mail. Vessenes, Katherine // Financial Planning;Aug98, Vol. 28 Issue 8, p143
Answers several questions about the practice of a financial planner's job in the United States. Drafting of trust documents by an attorney in one state into another state; Status of registered investment advisers; Splitting advisory fees with a certified public accountant.
- FinCEN Budget to Include Legislation on State Agency Examinations. // BSA/AML Update;5/15/2012, Vol. 8 Issue 10, p8
A summary of the Investment Adviser Oversight Act of 2012 of the U.S. is presented
- Death by Regulation. Veres, Bob // Financial Planning;Feb2008, Vol. 38 Issue 2, p41
The author argues that independent financial advisors who are members of the Financial Planning Association (FPA) will be affected by the possibility of the Financial Services Regulatory Authority (FINRA) regulating all financial advice in the U.S. While the FPA won its case against brokerage...
- Regulation needs fundamental reform, starting with the term 'restricted'. LEWIS, PAUL // Money Marketing;9/10/2015, Issue 1500, p30
The article reports that the British Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) is reviewing the rules governing financial advisors. Topics discussed include the difference between restricted and independent financial advisors, the reasons why the FCA should change the legal definition associated with...
- James Jones-Tinsley: Govt Finance Act delay is unacceptable. Jones-Tinsley, James // Money Marketing (Online Edition);12/02/2015, p2
The article discusses the delayed implementation of the Finance Act 2015-16, which passed through Great Britain's Parliament in July 2015 but gained Royal Assent status only in November 2015. Topics covered include the Finance Act provisions considered relevant to financial advisers and their...
- New rules alter planning game plan for consumers. Jaffe, Chuck // Inside Tucson Business;4/23/2007, Vol. 16 Issue 46, p23
The article discusses the impact of the new rules in investment advice on the financial planning strategy for consumers in the U.S. It emphasizes on the decision of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia that brokers can only give financial advice if they are not paid for it. The...
- FPA's Insurance Stance Angers Members. Hitchner, Kenneth B. // Financial Planning;May2002, Vol. 32 Issue 5, p25
Reports the reaction of members of the Financial Planning Association (FPA) to the group's decision to support a legislation that allows registered investment advisers to charge a fee for offering insurance advice in Idaho effective July 1, 2002. Background on the law; Claims of FPA chapter...