10 years ago in the Profession
- Switching B/Ds and the Law of Unintended Consequences. Johnson, Timothy // Journal of Financial Planning;Apr2007 Supplement, Vol. 20, p30
The article discusses the effects of Regulation SP, which was passed by United States Congress as part of the PATRIOT Act, on the financial planning industry. The regulation is focused on protecting consumers' personal information, but has substantially curtailed the block transfer of a...
- The Hot Job of Financial Planning&hellip. // Journal of Financial Planning;Feb1998, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p16
Comments on the article featured in "U.S. News & World Report" about financial planning. Popularity of the career in financial planning; Demand for financial planners in the banking, brokerage and mutual fund fields; Failure of the magazine to mention designations or licenses.
- Internet Highway Report... // Journal of Financial Planning;Feb1999, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p18
This section presents a list of web sites relevant to financial planners and financial planning in the U.S.
- Tasking the Task Force: When Is a CFPÂ® Certificant a Fiduciary? Thompson, Duane R. // Journal of Financial Planning;Mar2004, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p22
This article addresses issues concerning fiduciary standards in financial planning in the U.S. In a news release, the Certified Financial Planner (CFP) Board noted that it would be choosing, among members for various standing committees in 2004, volunteers for a task force begun in 2003 to...
- Observer. // Journal of Financial Planning;Jan2006, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p28
The article presents news briefs related to the financial planning industry in the U.S. as of January 2006. Spectrem Group reported that a large proportion of investors in the country are interested in investing in mutual funds. The energy generating sector of the nation is performing well since...
- How the Other Half Plans. Kitces, Michael E. // Financial Planning;Jul2004, Vol. 34 Issue 7, p64
Discusses the need for analytical experts by financial planning firms in the U.S. in 2004. Duties of an analytical expert; Sources where analytical experts can be found; Ways financial planners can find an appropriate place for their technical skills. INSET: Becoming a Back-Office Expert.
- CE Quiz March 2005. // Financial Planning;Mar2005, Vol. 35 Issue 3, p125
Presents a quiz to financial advisers concerning financial planning issues in the U.S. Information on the distribution rule which apply to beneficiaries if the owner of the individual retirement account dies before the required beginning date; Rate of maximum tax for gold exchange-traded funds...
- Trading Places. McGee, Suzanne // Financial Planning;Sep2008, Vol. 38 Issue 9, p59
The article discusses the move of planners, investment advisors, and other wealth managers to change firms in the U.S. It is noted that for many advisors, switching firms or launching their own shop can be dangerous, since clients can feel neglected or taken for granted. In addition, if the...
- No Chicken Little. Kautt, Glenn G. // Financial Planning;Mar2005, Vol. 35 Issue 3, p41
Provides U.S. financial advisers with strategies in dealing with business challenges. Trends and challenges confronting financial advisory companies in the country; Prediction on the decline of profit margins in the financial planning sector; Tips to financial advisers in dealing with business...