Van Kampen's Ciccarone: By branching out, insurers leave buy side in dark
- Rumors of merger mania grip market as firms seek to avoid dropping out. Tunick, Britt // Bond Buyer;10/07/97, Vol. 322 Issue 30246, p33
Focuses on the effects of the merger activities of underwriting firms to the municipal bond business in the United States. Rumors of a merger between Paine Webber Inc. and Goldman Sachs & Co.; Changes in the institutional sales force of the merged Wheat First Butcher Singer and First Union...
- So far, so good for insurers and their muni investments. Polyak, Ilana // Bond Buyer;11/18/97, Vol. 322 Issue 30275, p6
Forecasts 1997 third quarter performance of municipal bond portfolios in the insurance industry in the United States. Contributing factors to strong performance; Comparison of 1996 and 1997 underwriting losses for the first six months; Confidence of insurance companies to allocate tax-exempt...
- Municipal Prices Finish Little Changed; Investors Aim Cash at Primary Market. Monsarrat, Sean; Chesla, Nicholas // Bond Buyer;7/26/2001, Vol. 337 Issue 31189, p2
Reports the various price yields of municipal bonds in the United States. Prices provided by insurance companies on sales tax revenue bonds of government agencies; Accounts on the price yields of bond insurance; Names of companies insuring revenue bonds.
- Conn. survey: Some underwriters paid finders' fees. Harris, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;10/22/99, Vol. 330 Issue 30753, p4
Reports on survey findings that some underwriters in Connecticut paid finders' fees to people who helped them get municipal bond business, with most of those payments going to the firms' employees. Amount of fees given by PaineWebber Inc. to a lobbyist between 1991 and 1993; Legitimacy of the...
- It's a Tangled Web: Rival Firms Join Forces in New Systems. Preston, Darrell // Bond Buyer;06/20/2000, Vol. 332 Issue 30916, p8
Reports on the cross-alliances formed by competing underwriting firms in the United States to offer electronic commerce solutions to the sale and trading of municipal bonds. Description of the electronic platforms for municipal bonds trading created by different partnerships; Companies who...
- Raters take notice of Insurers' improvements. Heaton, Kenneth // Bond Buyer;05/11/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30638, p32
Reports that municipal bond insurers has improved its premium pricing and underwriting standards in the United States. Recovery of the bond insurance industry from losses in 1998; Used of profitability index in tracking premium changes.
- Market Too Rich for Opportunistic Insurance Companies' Taste Buds. Fine, Jacob // Bond Buyer;07/24/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30938, p7
Reports on trends in the market for municipal bonds offered for sale by property and casualty insurance companies in the United States. Investment patterns; Use of proceeds from sales of such bonds; Share of insurers in the secondary market.
- Isabel's Impact on Insurance Companies' Muni Holdings Still Murky. Briggs, Amanda // Bond Buyer;9/24/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31726, p7
Reports on the estimation of the effect of Hurricane Isabel on municipal bond holdings at affected property and casualty insurance companies in the U.S. Insured losses according to the estimates of Insurance Services Office Inc.; Significance on the effect of the storm on municipal portfolios;...
- Most bond insurers continue growth; post net gains during third quarter. Tunick, Britt, // Bond Buyer;11/26/97, Vol. 322 Issue 30281, p3
Reports on the financial performance of municipal bond insurers in the United States during the third quarter of 1997. Ambac Financial Group Inc., MBIA Inc and Financial Security Assurance Holdings Ltd.'s claims of gains in the quarter; Figures on the firms' net income during the quarter;...