Lower voter threshold sought in California
- N.C Counties Taking School Bonds to Voters. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;11/1/2001, Vol. 338 Issue 31256, p4
Reports on the move of several counties to ask voters to approve bonds for school building and renovation project in North Carolina. Amount of the proposed bond; Speculations on the response of voters to the initiative; Expected number of supporters to the bond package.
- Volume Tops Record, With More Ahead. Walker, Susanne // Bond Buyer;10/1/2002, Vol. 342 Issue 31482, p1
Reports the rate of new-issue volume in the long-term municipal bond as of the first nine months of 2002 in the U.S. Disclosure on the total amount sold by issuers; Projections for the fourth quarter; Expectations on the strength of issuance in the education sector.
- New funding scheme for poor schools shouldn't raise market hackles. Ferris, Craig T. // Bond Buyer;08/11/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30206, p26
Opinion. Asserts that the municipal bond market, despite being bypassed, should support a funding program for poor schools in the United States. Tax credit for the so-called qualified zone academy bonds; Investors' criticism of the earlier Bondholder Taxable Option; Bias in the municipal market...
- Municipal bond elections. Haywood, Charlesetta // Bond Buyer;04/08/98, Vol. 324 Issue 30368, p33
Lists municipal bond elections slated from April 8 to September 12, 1998. Includes Conestoga Public School District, Nebraska; Conejo Valley School District, California; Santa Cruz City Schools, California; Dallas, Texas; Longview, Texas; Wakefield School District, Nebraska; Muskogee County,...
- Florida PECO forward refunding clears final hurdle; RFPs coming. Whalen, Robert // Bond Buyer;06/24/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30669, p3
Reports on Florida's plan to issue public education bonds as of June 24, 1999. Executive cabinet's approval of the Florida Division of Bond Finance's plan to hire an underwriting team for the planned bond deal; Details of the planned bond deal.
- Using Munis to Fund a Child's College Education. Fine, Jacob // Bond Buyer;11/20/2000, Vol. 334 Issue 31021, Investment Forum p23
Focuses on the use of municipal bonds to fund college education in the United States. Setting up of the investment portfolio; Importance of advance planning and careful asset allocation; Advantage of a minor's special tax status.
- Measure making California school bonds easier nears petition process. Marois, Michael B. // Bond Buyer;04/27/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30628, p3
Reports that petitioners hoping to lower the approval threshold for school bond referendums in California to a simple majority are seeking to qualify their ballot request for signatures in the week of April 27, 1999. Defeated and approved school bond elections in the state from 1989 to 1998;...
- Maryland. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;08/18/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30211, p24
Presents news items about public finance in Maryland. Federick County's plans to float general obligation, variable-rate demand notes in September 1997; Establishment of a board to oversee Maryland Higher Education Investment Program.
- Diocese Sale Shrugs Off Church-State Concern. Hoffman, David // Bond Buyer;01/18/2000, Vol. 331 Issue 30809, p1A
Reports on the Diocese of Allentown, Pennsylvania's issuance of tax-exempt, variable-rate bonds for its school system in December 1999.