Understanding Chronic Wasting Disease In New York State
- ONTARIO TO CONTINUE CWD TESTING. Moorhouse, Barney // Ontario Out of Doors;Oct/Nov2005, Vol. 37 Issue 9, p16
The article focuses on the measures taken by the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources to arrest the spread of chronic wasting disease (CWD). Dr. Brent Patterson of the Ministry said that during the last two years they had surveyed one zone each year and will take up surveying of three more...
- TB Found In Deer. // New York State Conservationist;Feb2009, Vol. 63 Issue 4, p28
The article reports on the discovery of tuberculosis (TB) in a captive deer herd by the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets. The deer tested positive to a TB screening test and was euthanized. Although the risk of any wild deer being exposed to TB is slight, the Department of...
- Help! There's a Raccoon in My Chimney. Hershey, Daniel L. // Conservationist;Nov/Dec88, Vol. 43 Issue 3, p35
Reports on the assistance provided by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) in handling nuisance wildlife. Animals categorize as nuisance; Agency's giving of authority to qualified individuals within the private sector to become nuisance wildlife control agents;...
- Where you live... // New York State Conservationist;Oct95, Vol. 50 Issue 2, Wild in New York p6
Presents wildlife conservation developments in New York State according to news from the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) for fall 1995. Includes the success of banding Canada geese in Long Island; Improvement of survival rates of peregrine falcons in New York City; Availability...
- Keeping track of nature. // New York State Conservationist;Aug96, Vol. 51 Issue 1, p12
Focuses on the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation's Return a Gift to Wildlife program. Assessment and tracking of the status of rare and endangered plants, animals and ecological communities; Collection of information under the New York State Natural Heritage Program;...
- How to help baby birds. // Adirondack Daily Enterprise;3/13/2010, Vol. 117 Issue 62, p4
The article focuses on helping young birds which have fallen out of the nest wherein the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation recommends that young birds should only be returned if one can do it safely.
- CWD: QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS. Samuel, Dave // Bowhunter;Oct/Nov2003, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p114
Presents information regarding chronic wasting disease.
- BAMBI IS FAIR GAME. Park, Alice // Time;3/15/2004, Vol. 163 Issue 11, p93
Reports that Colorado scientists found no increase in human deaths attributed to chronic wasting disease in deer.
- Testing to Increase. // Outdoor Life;Nov2003, Vol. 210 Issue 9, p22
Focuses on the plan of 49 U.S. states to test hunter-killed deer and elk from the 2003 seasons for the presence of the chronic wasting disease. Classification of the disease; Response of the state of Hawaii to the spread of the disease; Involvement of the federal government in the fight against...