Nassau seeks plan B
- The smoke has yet to clear from the great tobacco bond debate. Karchmer, Jennifer // Bond Buyer;03/15/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30598, p8
Reports on municipal bond analysts and portfolio managers' views on municipal bonds backed by revenue from the tobacco industry settlement in the United States. Future of the bonds; Insurance available for the bonds; Bond ratings; Complexity of the settlement's payment formula.
- State court says New York city's share of tobacco settlement is reasonable. Kruger, Daniel // Bond Buyer;07/19/99, Vol. 329 Issue 30685, p36
Reports on New York appellate court decision on New York City's appeal for larger share of tobacco settlement payments. New York City's disqualification for a larger share in tobacco settlement; Plaintiff's argument on the irregularity of settlement payments distribution.
- Sacramento County Puts Tobacco Plan on Table. Marois, Michael B. // Bond Buyer;04/20/2000, Vol. 332 Issue 30875, p3
Reports on a proposal to securitize Sacramento, California's tobacco settlement money. Plans for the issuance of capital appreciation bonds by the end of 2000; Use of the proceeds to finance health and anti-smoking programs; County spending on health programs.
- Market Post: Insured Detroit Bonds Firm on GO Settlement. Renick, Oliver; Flynn, Hillary // Bond Buyer;4/10/2014, Vol. 123 Issue 34091, p1
The article offers information on settlement of general obligations in the U.S. It states that insured bonds of Detroit, Michigan, gained strength with Ambac-backed Detroit general obligation with a 5.25 percent coupon maturing in 2013 firming to 7.82 percent, lowest since June 2013. Information...
- Industry Groups Generally Support Move to T+2 Settlements. Casey, Jack // Bondbuyer.com;12/11/2015, p1
Municipal market groups are generally supporting a Municipal Securities Rulemaking Board proposal to speed up settlements of muni transactions to two from three days.
- Eyes on Pension Battleground Pennsylvania. Burton, Paul // Bond Buyer;6/16/2015, Vol. 1 Issue 34326, p1
Pennsylvania is but one pension battleground state amid a landscape of insolvency, court actions and settlements.
- SEC Settles for $5M With Robert Kasirer Over Defaulted Bonds. Ackerman, Andrew // Bond Buyer;11/7/2007, Vol. 362 Issue 32750, p5
The article reports that the Securities and Exchange Commission has reached a $4.99 million settlement with Robert A. Kasirer for allegedly misleading investors about more than $131 million of defaulted municipal bonds sold in the late 1990s in the U.S. Kasirer, who have not admitted or denied...
- The IRS Picks Its Targets. McConnell, Alison L. // Bond Buyer;12/28/2007, Vol. 362 Issue 32782, p1
The article reports that the U.S. Internal Revenue Service's municipal bond enforcement division will be targeting abusive and arbitrage-driven transactions that involve long investment periods or large investment amounts. The IRS officials stated that the transactions that the division...
- California Issuer Pays $1.01 Million in VCAP Settlement with IRS. Jagoda, Naomi // Bond Buyer;6/10/2015, Vol. 1 Issue 34323, p34
The article reports on the voluntary closing agreement program (VCAP) settlement of 1.01 million dollars paid by the Long Beach Community College District (LBCCD) in California to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Topics covered include tax issues on the general obligation (GO) bonds issued by...