- Family Radio Service. // Network Dictionary;2007, p190
A definition of the term "Family Radio Service" is presented. It refers to a low power, short range two-way radio service in the 460 MHz band.
- MAYDAY AND URGENT MESSAGES. Miles, John; Tobin, John // Fire Engineering;Apr2004, Vol. 157 Issue 4, p22
Illustrates some situations where 'Mayday' or 'Urgent' emergency radio messages are applied during firefighting operations. Occurrence of structural collapse; Structural conditions that could endanger working firefighters; Transmission procedures; Incident commander's responsibility; Sample...
- Product Update. // Official Board Markets;10/29/2005, Vol. 81 Issue 44, p18
Evaluates a two-way radio Omni Universal Ear Set, manufactured by CavCom Inc.
- COMMUNICATIONS VIA 7 keys to sending and receiving messages. Huelke, Ernie // Industrial Safety & Hygiene News;Jun2007, Vol. 41 Issue 6, p72
The article provides information on the requirement to send and receive messages through a 2-way radio communication. According to the author, its basic philosophy is to confine transmissions to location, extention, situation, and status. Some of the important considerations to be part of the...
- Fireground noise may interfere with digital radio transmissions: IAFC. // Fire Engineering;May2007, Vol. 160 Issue 5, p66
This article examines reports that firefighters have been experiencing unintelligible audio communications while using digital two way radios in close proximity to the low pressure alarm of their self contained breathing apparatus (SCBA). Common fire ground noises may also affect voice...
- Radio interoperability helps tame wildfire. Weller, Robert // Fire Chief;May2003 Supplement, Vol. 47, p1
Reports on a statewide radio communications system built on some existing infrastructure that played a role during Colorado's Hayman Fire in summer 2002. Key role of the 800-millihertz digital trunked statewide communications system in helping fire-control agencies coordinate and maximize their...
- European telephony operators thrust fiber closer to users. Hars, Adele // Lightwave;Jan95, Vol. 12 Issue 1, pS23
Reports on the increased demand for European network operators to bring fiber-optic cable into business telecommunications. Prospect of liberalized telecommunications services; Recommendations by the European Commission for increasing competition in the local loop; Features of Germany's Deutsche...
- Installing Fiber-optic Networks. O'Mara, George; McCreary, Scott // Lightwave;Oct2000, Vol. 17 Issue 11, p55
Deals with issues regarding the installation of fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) telecommunication systems. Institutions competing for the installation of FTTH systems; Alternatives in installing FTTH systems; Criteria for making the most appropriate interconnect choice within various network designs.
- Long-haul market 'less bad' in 2003, say industry analysts. Fuller, Meghan // Lightwave;Mar2003, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p1
Reports on the possible recovery of long-haul (LH) optical networking market. Percentage of incremental capacity upgrades; Expectation of LH activity from other major telecommunication carriers; Skepticism on the overestimation in the market.