State, local groups speak out against federal preemption
- The dual personality of federalism. Tubbesing, Carl // State Legislatures;Apr98, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p14
Explains why federal officials in the United States (US) propose to preempt state activity. Implication of technological advances in the business industry; Changes on the congressional politics; Members of US Congress that offered their versions of settlement. INSETS: The top ten preemption...
- Does federalism have a future? Nivola, Pietro S. // Public Interest;Winter2001, Issue 142, p44
Discusses the implications of the status of federalism in the United States as of January 2001. Issues on the relationship between the national government and the states; Details on coercive federalism; Use and abuse of centralization; Comments on federal supervision of state law enforcement...
- Federalism (cont'd.). Rivkin Jr., David B.; Casey, Lee A. // Commentary;Dec96, Vol. 102 Issue 6, p47
Discusses various aspects of federalism in the United States. Legal basis of federal power; Scope of federal jurisdiction; Function of federal laws and regulations.
- Give states flexibility. Castle, Michael N. // State Government News;Oct95, Vol. 38 Issue 10, p23
Discusses the concept of federalism and its importance in the political arena of the United States. Revival of federalism in the US; Definition of federalism; Highlights of the return to federalism; Three enemies of responsible government; Benefits that can be derived from federalism;...
- The new federalism. Reuben, Richard C. // ABA Journal;Apr95, Vol. 81 Issue 4, p76
Reports on conservative lawyers and politicians' efforts to limit the reach of the federal government. Background of the 10th Amendment; Federalism as a rallying cry for political change; Comments of Clint Bollick on the importance of restoring true federalism.
- Personalities are clogging federal system. Battey, Phil // ABA Banking Journal;Nov82, Vol. 74 Issue 11, p6
Looks into the loss of a sense of community in the U.S. federal government. Growth of a sense of community among depository institutions; Combination of stability and energy in government; Erosion of the willingness of individual justices to be team members.
- Editor's Note. Cohn, Roger // Mother Jones;Sep/Oct2004, Vol. 29 Issue 5, p4
Introduces a series of articles related to politics and government in the U.S.
- Intergovernmental Relationships and the Federal Performance Movement. Radin, Beryl A. // Publius: The Journal of Federalism;Winter/Spring2000, Vol. 30 Issue 1/2, p143
Highlights six approaches used by the United States federal government agencies to balance the imperatives of providing states with flexibility and yet maintain a commitment to performance. Typology developed to examine the approaches that the federal government has attempted in order bridge...
- An American Dilemma. Melnick, R. Shep // Wilson Quarterly;Autumn99, Vol. 23 Issue 4, p70
Focuses on the role of the big or federal government in the United States. Background on the distrust for big government; Socio-economic and political changes that vanished sectional loyalties; Role of the party system in the centralization of government; Role of presidents in the expansion of...