THROUGH THE WIRE
- Abernathy Undecided on Multicasts. Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;10/4/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 40, p45
Reports on the statement by U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) member Kathleen Abernathy in September 2004 that she's undecided on whether cable companies should carry all programming services generated by each digital-TV station. Requirement under the multicast must-carry mandate;...
- WCNY starts cable channel. Grossman, Naomi // Business Journal Serving Southern Tier, CNY, Mohawk Valley, Fing;5/13/96, Vol. 10 Issue 10, p1
Reports on WCNY-TV's agreement to provide full-time cable programming on Time Warner Cable in Central New York. Expansion in cable television service; Comments from company officials; Public service broadcasting.
- DTV picture clouds over. McConnell, Bill // Broadcasting & Cable;7/15/2002, Vol. 132 Issue 29, p52
Focuses on the problems on digital interference in Sacramento, California. Complaints filed by WBOC-TV against WHRO-DT of encroaching on channel 16 across the Chesapeake Bay; Lack of knowledge on digital signal propagation; Appeal of Federal Communications Commission on the settlement of...
- Comcast: Must-Carry Is Outdated. Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;10/27/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 43, p9
Reports on the comments given by Comcast Corp. on the applicability of the 1992 law that allows television stations to demand cable carriage. Information on the letter sent by Comcast to the U.S. Federal Communications Commission on the cable carriage law; Claims made by broadcasters in line...
- Time Warner moving ahead to big battle satellite TV. Dickinson, Casey J. // Business Journal (Central New York);5/3/2002, Vol. 16 Issue 18, p1
Discusses the plan of Time Warner Cable to launch a 24-hour news channel in 2002. Background on the company; Information on the company's studio in Syracuse, New York; Details on the hiring plans of the company.
- Call pitfalls? Cablers, webs debate ads' value. Diuguid, Carol // Variety;03/03/97, Vol. 366 Issue 5, p6
Reports on the debate between cable operators and cable television stations concerning advertisements urging subscribers to call their cable provider to include certain television networks. Cable operators' claim that the ads create a false demand for the channels; Networks' claims concerning...
- SBS files to fill Swiss TV holes. Edmunds, Marlene // Variety;07/13/98, Vol. 371 Issue 9, p32
Reports on the application of Scandinavian Broadcasting System (SBS) to launch a German-language cable channel in Switzerland. Information on the cable channel launched; Joint-venture plans of SBS with TA-Media Group; Synergy targets of SBS in television advertising.
- Cable out-rates networks in prime. // MediaWeek;10/9/95, Vol. 5 Issue 38, p3
Reports that prime time ratings of cable networks in the United States surged higher than television networks in the third quarter of 1995.
- TV stations and cable systems agree. Rodriguez, Sandra D. // Caribbean Business;10/7/1993, Vol. 21 Issue 40, p44
Reports on the agreement between cable television systems and television stations operating in Puerto Rico regarding stations' request for compensation for the right to broadcast their signal. Effect of the United States' congressional approval of the Cable Television Consumer Protection and...