- TECH BRIEFS. // Electronic Media;7/29/2002, Vol. 21 Issue 30, p12
Reports developments related to broadcasting as of July 2002. Confusion of consumers on high-definition television; Increase consumer awareness for demand and video-on-demand.
- Wavelet data compression. Langreth, Robert; Free, John // Popular Science;Jun92, Vol. 240 Issue 6, p67
Focuses on the efforts of electrical engineer Martin Vetterli to create a television signal that works on both high-definition television (HDTV) sets and older sets. His solution--a multi-resolution television signal based on a new mathematical theory called wavelets; How the system works;...
- Shrinking HDTV costs. Free, John // Popular Science;Jun92, Vol. 240 Issue 6, p68
Comments on the high costs of high-definition television sets in Japan. Successful developments by Fujitsu Ltd. that are bringing prices down; Expectation that Japan's famed miniaturization techniques will further reduce size and cost of television decoders; Research details.
- The Genius box. Steinberg, Don // GQ: Gentlemen's Quarterly;Aug96, Vol. 66 Issue 8, p78
Discusses high-definition television as the TV of the future. High-fidelity, life-like images, and other versatile qualities; Disadvantages pertaining to price; Necessity for upgrades for enjoying its varied features. INSET: How to watch tv like an expert..
- High-definition TV's new direction. Slovick, Murray // Popular Mechanics;Jul94, Vol. 171 Issue 7, p90
Reports on developments in the digital high-definition television (HDTV) technology. Decision to use a signal transmission system developed by Zenith; Possible effect of the HDTV standard being developed by an industry-wide Grand Alliance of TV manufacturers on the existing standard National...
- Selling definition. Prophet, Graham // EDN Europe;Apr2001, Vol. 46 Issue 4, p25
Presents high definition television (DTV) in the United States. Argumentation on the prospects of DTV; Description on picture quality of television; Discussions on the HDTV and high definition pictures.
- GUESTS, GADGETS AND GIZMOS. LOMBARDI, ROSIE // Hotelier;Sep2010, Vol. 22 Issue 6, p41
The article focuses on how technology can be used to shape guestroom experience. According to the author, the availability of high-speed Internet and Wi-Fi no longer suffice in impressing guests since they consider it the minimum technology a hotel should offer, with some expecting...
- 50 GREATEST A/V INNOVATIONS. Riggs, Michael // Sound & Vision;Jan2008, Vol. 73 Issue 1, p36
The article presents the top 50 greatest audio-visual innovations from 1958 to 2008. The innovation list includes digital recording, the Apple iPod mobile MP3 player, compact disc (CD), digital videodisc (DVD), walkman by Akio Morita, videocassette recorder (VCR), cable television, surround...
- In Demand adds HD to the menu. // CED;Apr2003, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p16
Announces In Demand's introduction of its high-definition video-on-demand slate of videotapes. 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding'; 'Road to Perdition'; 'The Tuxedo.'