Advisory Future For Wal-Mart is Up in Air
- Auf Wiedersehen. Jones, Forrest // Latin Trade (English);Oct2006, Vol. 14 Issue 10, p16
The article focuses on the decision of retailer Wal-Mart Stores to invest in the Latin American market. It cites the implications of the move of the retailer to sell its South Korean and German assets. Executives of Wal-Mart believe that Latin America can compete with the Indian and Chinese...
- `Always Lower Prices' Upsets Europe Balance. Fingaris, Courtney // Export Today's Global Business;May2000, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p30
Focuses on the retail trade in Europe. Plans of Wal-Mart to cut prices; Consolidation among retailers; Financial information on Wal-Mart.
- SYSTEMS INITIATIVES PROVE DIFFICULT TO ALIGN. Friedman, Tom // Chain Store Age;Apr98, Vol. 74 Issue 4, p80
Discusses several business trends that influenced the growth of retailers in the U.S. Increase in the number of consolidations in the country; Implementation of Year 2000-compliant electronic systems; Expansion efforts of Wal-Mart.
- Europe answers Wal-Mart threat. Ford, Peter // Christian Science Monitor;9/1/99, Vol. 91 Issue 194, p1
Focuses on how two of France's largest retailers sought safety in size by announcing a merger deal following Wal-Mart's European mergers.
- The Case for Deconsolidation. Steidtmann, Carl E. // Retail Merchandiser;Mar2005, Vol. 45 Issue 3, p22
Comments on the impact of consolidation on the U.S. retail industry. Implementation of the productivity loop at Wal-Mart; Significance of technology to suppliers; Differentiation in the mass market.
- MARKET WATCH. // DSN Retailing Today;4/19/2004, Vol. 43 Issue 8, p4
Presents news briefs concerning the retail sector in the United States and in China as of April 2004. Praise given by U.S. soldiers David G. Richmond and Hames Eaddings, back from duty in Iraq, to the retail outposts run by the Army & Air Force Exchange Service in the region; Voters' rejection...
- Wal-Mart Job Reflects Strategic Shift. Bowers, Katherine // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;8/28/2007, Vol. 194 Issue 43, p3
The article reports on the plan by Bentonville, Arkansas-based Wal-Mart Stores Inc. to hire an executive with merger and acquisition expertise. Signaling a desire to diversify beyond Supercenters, Wal-Mart Stores Inc. is looking to hire an executive with merger and acquisition expertise to...
- An intriguing idea. Prince, Ted // Journal of Commerce (1542-3867);1/31/2005, Vol. 6 Issue 5, p41
Focuses on a rumor emerging from northwest Arkansas that Wal-Mart was considering an acquisition of APL Ltd. and its implication to the transportation industry. Consensus of the transportation industry about the Wal-Mart move of awarding APL as the company's International Ocean Carrier of the...
- Retail Consolidation in European Food Retailing. Vaughan, Clive // European Retail Digest;Dec99, Issue 24, p11
Focuses on the impact of Wal-Mart Stores Inc.'s take over on Asda on food retailers in Europe. Brief overview of the retail market prior to Wal-Mart's arrival; Major gap of Wal-Mart portfolio in France; Potentials of European retailers.