A newborn requiring selective bronchial intubation
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease Â· 2: Pathology and biochemistry of emphysema. Hogg, J.C.; Senior, R.M. // Thorax;Sep2002, Vol. 57 Issue 9, p830
Part 2. Examines the pathology and biochemistry of emphysema. Cells responsible for the degradation of extracellular matrix in emphysema; Proteinase-antiproteinase hypothesis; Proteinases involved in alveolar septal destruction.
- Influence of lung volume reduction surgery (LVRS) on health related quality of life in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Goldstein, R.S.; Todd, T.R.J.; Guyatt, G.; Keshavjee, S.; Dolmage, T.E.; van Rooy, S.; Krip, B.; Maltais, F.; LeBlanc, P.; Pakhale, S.; Waddell, T.K. // Thorax;May2003, Vol. 58 Issue 5, p405
Background: The clinical value of LVRS has been questioned in the absence of trials comparing it with pulmonary rehabilitation, the prevailing standard of care in COPD. Patients with heterogeneous emphysema are more likely to benefit from volume reduction than those with homogeneous disease....
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease â€¢ 10: Bullectomy, lung volume reduction surgery, and transplantation for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Meyers, B.F.; Patterson, G.A. // Thorax;Jul2003, Vol. 58 Issue 7, p634
There are currently three surgical treatments for emphysema: bullectomy, lung transplantation, and lung volume reduction surgery (LVRS). Unfortunately, most emphysema patients are poor candidates for any surgical intervention. A meticulous selection process is favoured in which indications and...
- Long-term results of lung volume reduction surgery. Fujimoto, T.; Teschler, H.; Hillejan, L.; Zaboura, G.; Stamatis, G. // European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery;Mar2002, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p483
Objective: Lung volume reduction surgery (LVRS) is effective in the short and intermediate term for the improvement of pulmonary function and subjective symptoms in selected patients with advanced emphysema. The purpose of this study was to examine the long-term functional results of LVRS and to...
- Killer Emphysema. Roberson, Delores // Saturday Evening Post;Dec84, Vol. 256 Issue 9, p4
Presents two readers' reactions to an article on pulmonary emphysema published in the September 1984 issue of "The Saturday Evening Post" periodical.
- COPD: small airway obstruction and emphysema. // African Journal of Respiratory Medicine;Mar2012, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p2
The article presents a study led by a team in Canada and the U.S. involving high-resolution computed tomography (CT) on people with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) may lead to changes in the definition of emphysema.
- NURSING DECISIONS: EXPERIENCES IN CLINICAL PROBLEM SOLVING. de Tornyay, Rheba; Sordelett, Starr S.; Jackson, Bettie S. // RN;Mar77, Vol. 40 Issue 3, p61
Presents a clinical problem solving case for nurses. Information on the patient; Diseases that comprised the chronic obstructive pulmonary disease; Risk factors of emphysema.
- Elasticity of the Lung in Pulmonary Emphysema. Ebert, Richard V. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Nov68, Vol. 69 Issue 5, p903
Focuses on a study which described the elastic properties of the lungs for the incidence of pulmonary emphysema. Use of the pressure volume curve in determining the elasticity of the lungs; Analysis of the elastic properties of the normal lung; Changes in elastic properties when emphysema...
- Surgical approaches for lung volume reduction in emphysema. CRAWFORD, EMMA; SRINIVASAN, KOOTTALAI; MOUDGIL, HARMESH; NAICKER, THIRUMALAIRENGARAJAN; AHMAD, NAWAID // Clinical Medicine;Oct2014, Vol. 14 Issue 5, p558
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article related to lung volume reduction surgery (LVRS) by S. J. Clark and others in the December 10, 2013 issue.
- Every Breath You Take. Lewis, Carol // FDA Consumer;Mar/Apr99, Vol. 33 Issue 2, p9
Focuses on emphysema, a degenerative disease of the lungs. Causes of the disease; Symptoms and signs; Treatment options for emphysema patients; Key to management of emphysema.