Link between porphyria and fasting uncovered
- THE EFFECT OF PROTEIN MALNUTRITION ON TOXIC PORPHYRIA. Roe, Daphne A. // Journal of Investigative Dermatology;Mar71, Vol. 56 Issue 3, p223
The aim of the study was to determine whether protein depletion or repletion influences the chemical induction and clinical signs of hepatocutaneous porphyria. Weanling pigs, aged 21 days, were divided into 3 groups according to diet. Group 1 was depleted on a 3% casein diet plus 25% corn oil...
- George Ill's madness fuelled by arsenic. // New Scientist;7/30/2005, Vol. 187 Issue 2510, p15
The article reports on new finding which suggests that arsenic poisoning may have contributed to the madness of Great Britain's King George III. George III suffered five major bouts of mental derangement during which he was bound in a straitjacket and chained to a chair to control his ravings....
- Fast track to the porphyrias. Phillips, John D.; Kushner, James P. // Nature Medicine;Oct2005, Vol. 11 Issue 10, p1049
Focuses on the mechanistic basis for acute porphyrias. Syndrome caused by the neurotoxic effects of precursors to porphyrins; Functions mediated by hemoglobin and other hemoproteins; Signs and symptoms of porphyrias.
- Diagnosis and management of porphyria. Thadani, Helen // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);06/17/2000, Vol. 320 Issue 7250, p1647
Discusses the diagnosis and clinical management of neuropsychiatric porphyria. Medical information on porphyria; General clinical aspects of porphyria; Acute attacks of porphyria.
- Swollen Upper Extremities. Atkins, A.M.; Nedorost, S.T. // Clinical Pediatrics;Nov/Dec2003, Vol. 42 Issue 9, p827
Describes a medical case of erythropoietic protoporphyria (EPP), a rare condition caused by a deficiency in the ferrochetalase gene, in a seven-year-old Caucasian girl with normal plasma and fecal porphyrin concentrations. Medical history; Clinical manifestations of EPP; Diagnosis; Long-term...
- The diagnostic challenge of porphyria. Bloomer, Joseph R.; Bonkovsky, Herbert L. // Patient Care;1/15/1999, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p57
Focuses on porphyria. Photosensitivity and neurologic symptoms; Occurrence of structural hepatic damage; Risk for hepatitis C, cirrhosis and cancer; Acute intermittent porphyria; Porphyria cutanea tarda. INSETS: Tracing the porphyria pedigree.;The madness of King George..
- RESTING HAND IN HAND. Sarro, Robert; Camisa, Charales // Cortlandt Forum;04/25/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p141
Studies the differences in porphyria cutanea tarda and pseudoporphyria. Blisters on hands and face; Skin fragility; Hypertrichosis; Milia; Sclerodermoid change; Abnormal porphyrin metabolism; Associated conditions; Associated drugs.
- porphyria:. Huber, Jeffrey T.; Gillaspy, Mary L. // Encyclopedic Dictionary of AIDS-Related Terminology;2000, p181
A definition of the term "porphyria" is presented, which refers to any of a group of disturbances in porphyrin metabolism, characterized by increased formation and excretion of porphyrins or their precursors.
- European Porphyria Initiative (EPI): A Platform to Develop a Common Approach to the Management of Porphyrias and to Promote Research in the Field. Deybach, J.-Ch.; Badminton, M.; Puy, H.; Sandberg, S.; Frank, J.; Harper, P.; Martasek, P.; Minder, E.; Parker, S.; Thunell, S.; Elder, G. // Physiological Research;2006 Supplement, Vol. 55, pS67
Porphyrias are uncommon inherited diseases of haem biosynthesis for which the diagnosis and treatment varies in individual countries. Despite the existence of guidelines recommended by porphyria experts concerning the diagnosis and management of the acute porphyrias, and of specialist centres in...