Putting Best Features Forward
- ECHO'S ERODING ORBIT. Amdur, Meredith // Daily Variety;6/15/2004, Vol. 283 Issue 50, p7
Focuses on the impact of the competition faced by EchoStar Communications from DirecTV Inc. on the subscription of cable television in the U.S. Need for the company to spend more to attract new customers; Move of investors to trade their stocks; Cost of the company in the acquisition of a new...
- SURVEY: TEXANS LOVE VIDEO CHOICES. Wilson, Carol // Telephony;3/6/2006, Vol. 247 Issue 4, p9
The article reports that competition in video services is having an immediate effect on viewers, according to a survey in three Texas communities where Verizon provides FiOS TV service. The survey also revealed that competition stimulated growth in the overall wireless market because 23 percent...
- Guidelines for Verizon debate. // Crain's New York Business;8/21/2006, Vol. 22 Issue 34, p8
This article discusses the efforts made by Verizon Communications Inc. to find a franchise to offer cable television to the residents of New York City. According to the firms Time Warner Cable Inc. and Cablevision Systems Corp., Verizon must be forced to comply with the same rules that they do....
- Subscriber Trends Bode Well for Cable. Sherman, Jay // Television Week;5/9/2005, Vol. 24 Issue 19, p20
Reports on the financial performance of the cable industry in the U.S. in the first quarter of 2005. Challenges faced by cable operators following the emergence of satellite companies DirecTV and EchoStar Communications; Comparison of the number of cable subscribers added among Time Warner,...
- Verizon Moves Into Cable TV. Kerschbaumer, Ken; Meyer, Joel // Broadcasting & Cable;9/26/2005, Vol. 135 Issue 39, p4
Reports on the launch of the FiOS fiber-optic cable television service from Verizon in Keller, Texas in September 2005. Fees for subscribing to the service; Television channels offered by the service; Service packages offered by Verizon to subscribers.
- DirecTV Expecting Slower Subscriber Growth This Year. Scanlon, Mavis // Cable World (10427228);1/20/2003, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p8
Reports on an expected decline in the subscription rate of cable operator DirecTV in 2003. Projected subscribers in 2003; Net customers added by the network in 2002; Factors that will contribute to the decline.
- TV VIEWERS STILL WIRED. Lowry, Tom // Daily Variety;3/2/2011, Vol. 310 Issue 42, p1
The article reports that cable, satellite, and telecommunication operators including DirecTV Inc. and Dish Network Corp. have gained 250,000 subscribers in 2010 amidst speculations on cord-cutting.
- SEC Sends More Letters. Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;7/12/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 28, p2
Reports that the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has sent letters of request to several cable and telecommunications companies regarding their method of counting and reporting subscriber totals. Description of the SEC request by Steve Caulk, spokesman of Echostar Communications...
- SATELLITE SERVICES. Moss, Linda // Multichannel News;1/8/2007, Vol. 28 Issue 2, p19
The article focuses on the video-on-demand offerings proposed by broadcast satellite services providers DirecTV Inc. and Echostar Communications Corp.'s Dish Network to compete with cable television providers in the U.S. DirecTV has proposed to launch its video-on-demand download service called...