Localities try to block federal hands from tobacco money
- States in Good Fiscal Shape, But Big Surpluses May Soon Shrink. Ferris, Craig T. // Bond Buyer;07/19/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30935, p6
Highlights the results of a survey of the financial condition of state and local governments in the United States as of June 30, 2000. General fund spending; Budget surplus; States' dilemma on what to do with their excess revenues.
- WHAT IS FINANCIAL HEALTH? // Governing;Aug2015, Vol. 28 Issue 11, Special section p8
The article discusses the definition of government financial health. It mentions that a state or local government is financially healthy if it deliver services expected by its citizens. It also highlights the complication of financial health by three factors which includes uncontrollable by...
- Analysis and Implementation. // Miller Governmental GAAP Update Service;6/15/2004, Vol. 4 Issue 11, p2
Focuses on the analysis and implementation of the Management's Discussion and Analysis in the context of annual financial reports in the U.S. Overview of the basic financial statements; Financial analysis of the government as a whole; Analysis of balances and transactions of individual major funds.
- Summary & Highlights. // Miller Governmental GAAP Update Service;6/15/2004, Vol. 4 Issue 11, p1
Focuses on the annual financial report of the U.S. government. Discussion and analysis for state and local governments; Purpose of the Management's Discussion and Analysis (MD&A); Familiarization of the required elements and prohibitions as specified in generally accepted accounting principles...
- a budding recovery. Barkin, Robert // American City & County;Oct2012, Vol. 127 Issue 10, p18
The article explores signs showing a better financial standing for U.S. local and state governments in the future. While Atlanta, Georgia's revenue line dropped to about 120 million dollars since its 2008 budget year, its 2014 budget ended it after it showed a steady increase to 553 million...
- Government Receipts and Expenditures First Quarter of 2009. // Survey of Current Business;Jun2009, Vol. 89 Issue 6, p11
The article examines the performance of the government receipts and expenditures in the U.S. in the first quarter of 2009. During the quarter, government receipts posted a significant increase, while expenditures declined. Moreover, the net government saving, which shows the difference between...
- Big Cuts in Justice Grants. Frederick, Susan Parnas; Taylor, Emily // State Legislatures;Jun2008, Vol. 34 Issue 6, p15
This article reveals that the fiscal year (FY) 2008 federal Justice Assistance Grants has reduced its allocation to state and local governments in the U.S. The grants pay for a broad range of activities such as drug treatment and enforcement, criminal reentry into society and crime prevention...
- Municipal credit ratings survive economic downturn. Puchalla, John // American City & County;May2001, Vol. 116 Issue 7, p26
Covers the factors that help the finance of local government units in the United States during economic decline. Conservative budgeting; Tax-revenue growth; Illustration on the problem of the energy crisis in California.
- A DOLLAR, A DREAM. McGrath, Ben // New Yorker;5/26/2003, Vol. 79 Issue 13, p37
Comments on the proposed use of gambling as source of state funding in the U.S. Proposal of New York Governor George Pataki to install video slot machines in Off-Track Betting parlors; Recommendation of Arkansas statesman Jim Lendall to use taxpayer's money in lottery; Argument on the benefits...