Tennessee says tax woes won't erode state's triple-A
- Tennessee Legislators Hope to OK Budget in Time to Avoid Shutdown. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;06/05/2000, Vol. 332 Issue 30905, p3
Reports on the efforts of the Tennessee General Assembly to come up with a budget for fiscal 2001 to avoid having the government shut down due to its failure to balance the budget. Proposal by Governor Don Sundquist; Impasse between lawmakers and Sundquist.
- Governor heads to cyberspace to spell out Tennessee's fiscal troubles. Whalen, Robert // Bond Buyer;10/11/99, Vol. 330 Issue 30744, p39
Reports that Tennessee Governor Don Sundquist has launched a Web site outlining the revenue collection woes that the state has been enduring. Retooling of the state's tax structure; Loopholes in the tax code.
- Tennessee Legislature Overrides Governor's Veto of `Fudge-It Budget'. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;06/29/2000, Vol. 332 Issue 30923, p4
Reports that the Tennessee Legislature has overridden Governor Don Sundquist's veto of the state's budget bill for 2001. Budget's reliance on projected revenue estimates rather than implementation of new taxes or expense reduction; Other concerns by Sundquist about the budget.
- Tennessee Tax Fight A Warning to Others. Hays, Tony // Insight on the News;12/10/2001, Vol. 17 Issue 46, p23
Reports on the opposition of several citizens in Tennessee to the income tax bill proposed by Tennessee Governor Don Sundquist. Details of a mass protest in July 2001; Reason of the local government for proposing an income tax; Analysis of the budget of the local government.
- Tennessee tax plan could put the burden on business. Menke, Arthur // Bond Buyer;04/07/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30614, p4
Focuses on Tennessee lawmakers' review of Governor Don Sundquist's tax reform proposal. Elimination of the Franchise and Excise Tax; Expected revenue from a flat-rate business tax; Debate on a proposal to remove the grocery tax.
- Tennessee budget stands. // State Government News;Sep2001, Vol. 44 Issue 8, p7
Reports on the move of the Tennessee State Legislature to override the decision of Governor Don Sundquist to veto the proposed no-new-taxes state budget for 2002. Proposal of Sundquist for the state to adopt income tax; Reason for the decision of Sundquist to veto the budget proposal.
- TEI Offers Assistance on Tennessee Tax Reform Proposals. // Tax Executive;May/Jun99, Vol. 51 Issue 3, p226
Focuses on the letter from the Tax Executives Institute Inc. (TEI) to Tennessee Governor Don Sundquist concerning tax reform proposals in the state. Information on the TEI; Key issues in the tax reform proposals; Purpose of the letter.
- TENNESSEE Legislation Setting Criminal Penalties For Insurance Fraud Goes to Governor Sundquist. // Insurance Advocate;06/09/2001, Vol. 112 Issue 23, p28
Focuses on a bill sent by the Tennessee legislature to Governor Don Sundquist that establishes civil and criminal penalties for insurance fraud as of June 9, 2001. Provisions of the bill; View of the National Association of Independent Insurers on the bill; Estimated losses from all types of...
- Tennessee work comp reform awaits signature. // Business Insurance;5/6/96, Vol. 30 Issue 19, p69
States that a workers compensation reform bill requires the signature of Tennessee Governor Don Sundquist. Comment by Bob Gaskill of the Tennessee Association of Business; Details of the bill; View of Joseph DiGiovanni of the American Insurance Association; Advantages of the legislation; Impact...