IRS lawyer clarifies waste ruling
- Treasury May Ease Circular 230, But Isn't Sure How. Ferris, Craig T. // Bond Buyer;5/11/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31881, p4
Reports that the U.S. Treasury Department may be amenable to treating tax-exempt bond opinions differently under a proposed tax shelter rule. Comments of Bruce M. Serchuk, an attorney-adviser in the Treasury's office of tax policy, on the issue of tax-exempt bonds; Municipal market participants'...
- Serchuk Moves Temporarily to Treasury from IRS. Duff, Susanna // Bond Buyer;2/18/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31574, p4
Reports that Bruce Serchuk will leave his position as a senior technician reviewer in the U.S. Internal Revenue Service's chief counsel's office to become an attorney advisor in the Treasury Department's office of tax policy in February 2003. Reason for the decision; Plans of Serchuk regarding...
- TBMA: Redefine waste. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;03/25/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30606, p1
Focuses on the Bond Market Association's call for the United States (US) Department of the Treasury to clarify and expand its definition of solid waste. US Internal Revenue Service's decision on the taxability of an issue of solid-waste recycling facility bonds; Technical advice memorandum on...
- St. Charles Parish, La., Appeals IRS Ruling on Waste Bonds. McConnell, Alison L. // Bond Buyer;8/30/2005, Vol. 353 Issue 32207, p5
Reports that St. Charles Parish, Louisiana is appealing the U.S. Internal Revenue Service's determination that interest on multimillion-dollar of its solid-waste and pollution control bonds is taxable. Issues sold by the parish under a trust indenture with Entergy Louisiana Inc.; Discretion of...
- City approves issuing tax notes. Brown, Hal // Burnet Bulletin (Texas);12/10/2008, Vol. 136 Issue 50, p1A
The article reports that the Burnet City Council in Texas has approved the issuance of almost $1 million in tax notes, in which council members are making effort to make sure that the notes could be processed by the end of December 2008.
- Gilts and bonds. Greene, Chris; Maddalena, Christina // Accountancy;Sep95, Vol. 116 Issue 1225, p111
Reports on the British government's plan to pursue its reform of the taxation of gilts and bonds. Approval of Chancellor of the Exchequer Kenneth Clarke of an official gilt strip market; Tax payment of private investors, individuals and trusts; Absence of gains or loss on death.
- Enterprise zone facility bonds. // Practical Accountant;Aug96, Vol. 29 Issue 8, p22
Reports on the US Internal Revenue Service's (IRS) release of final regulations relating to the issuance of enterprise zone facility bonds by state and local governments.
- Private activity bond restrictions. // Practical Accountant;Feb95, Vol. 28 Issue 2, p20
Reports on proposals concerning private activity bond restrictions applicable to tax-exempt bonds issued by US states and local government.
- Investors to appeals court: Reverse decision on taxability of California county bond issue. Stanton, Michael // Bond Buyer;07/02/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30179, p4
Discloses that a trio of investors is asking the US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit to reverse its decision that interest on a Riverside County, California Housing Authority bond issue from the mid-1980s is taxable. Details of a brief filed by investors with the court; Importance of...