- AFRICA SPLITS. // Current Science;4/12/2002, Vol. 87 Issue 15, p9
Features the Western Rift Valley at the border between Congo and Tanzania. Account on the formation of the valley; Emergence of volcanoes from the rift; Prediction on the enlargement of the rift.
- Timing of the Younger Dryas event in East Africa from lake-level changes. Roberts, Neil; Taieb, Maurice // Nature;11/11/1993, Vol. 366 Issue 6451, p146
Presents climate records based on analyses of diatom assemblages, geochemistry and magnetic mineralogy of radiocarbon-dated sequences of laminated lake sediments from Lake Magadi in the East African rift. Detailed record of climate change in lowland equatorial Africa throughout the deglaciation...
- A Crack in the Earth: A Journey tip Israel's Rift Valley. // Publishers Weekly;3/26/2007, Vol. 254 Issue 13, p74
The article reviews the book "A Crack in the Earth: A Journey up Israel's Rift Valley," by Haim Watzman.
- CRUSTAL VELOCITY STRUCTURE OF THE RUKWA RIFT IN THE WESTERN BRANCH OF THE EAST AFRICAN RIFT SYSTEM. KIM, S.; NYBLADE, A. A.; BAAG, C.-E. // South African Journal of Geology;Dec2009, Vol. 112 Issue 3/4, p251
We investigate the thickness and seismic velocity structure of the Rukwa Rift crust by modeling seismograms from the 1994 Mw 5.9 Rukwa earthquake and teleseismic receiver functions recorded on a broadband seismic station at the southeastern end of the rift. Two methods have been used to model...
- THE DEPTH DISTRIBUTION OF SEISMICITY AT THE NORTHERN END OF THE RWENZORI MOUNTAINS: IMPLICATIONS FOR HEAT FLOW IN THE WESTERN BRANCH OF THE EAST AFRICAN RIFT SYSTEM IN UGANDA. TUGUME, F. A.; NYBLADE, A. A. // South African Journal of Geology;Dec2009, Vol. 112 Issue 3/4, p261
Data from a six-month deployment of seismic stations around the northern end of the Rwenzori Mountains have been used to investigate the depth extent of seismicity and its implications for heat flow in the Western Branch Rift of the East Africa Rift System in Uganda, Previous seismicity studies...
- From rifting to drifting. Pollitz, Fred F. // Nature;3/4/1999, Vol. 398 Issue 6722, p21
Focuses on the East African Rift, a region of continental break-up from Djibouti to Mozambique. Indications that this rift system is actively opening; Interpretation by Dezhi Chu and Richard Gordon of marine geophysical data verifying that the rift is opening; Explanation of the theory of plate...
- Skulls Confirm That All Mankind Originated From Africa. Moffett, Frances // Jet;8/6/2007, Vol. 112 Issue 5, p11
This article reports on a study of 6,000 human skulls that suggest that modern humans are derived from a single point in Africa. This British study says that all mankind arose out of Africa 50,000 years ago in the south-central part of the country in the Great Rift Valley near Mozambique in East...
- The magmatic plumbing system beneath El Hierro (Canary Islands): constraints from phenocrysts and naturally quenched basaltic glasses in submarine rocks. Stroncik, Nicole A.; Kl�gel, Andreas; Hansteen, Thor H. // Contributions to Mineralogy & Petrology;May2009, Vol. 157 Issue 5, p593
A thermobarometric and petrologic study of basanites erupted from young volcanic cones along the submarine portions of the three El Hierro rift zones (NE-Rift, NW-Rift and S-Ridge) has been performed to reconstruct magma plumbing and storage beneath the island. Mineral-melt thermobarometry...
- Valley of Life: Africa's Great Rift. Hart, Russell // American Photo;Jul/Aug92, Vol. 3 Issue 4, p100
The article reviews the book "VALLEY OF LIFE: AFRICA'S GREAT RIFT," by Chris Johns.