Mystery of the cliff dwellers
- Spirit paths of the Anasazi. Wicklein, John // Archaeology;Jan/Feb94, Vol. 47 Issue 1, p36
Focuses on the significance of the roadways built by the Anasazi indians leading out of the Chaco Canyon in New Mexico. Re-examination of roadways; Theory that these served ceremonial functions; Great Houses and roads as symbolic expressions of Anasazi cosmology; Opposition to the theory;...
- The lost people of Mesa Verde. Marston, E. // Highlights for Children;Jul/Aug91, Vol. 46 Issue 7, p32
Describes the cliff houses of the Anasazi tribe of native Americans who lived on the Mesa Verde plateau of southwestern Colorado for about eight hundred years before they disappeared. Homes and way of life; Cliff dwellings; Possible reasons for disappearance; Bad weather and erosion; Health...
- The dark side of the Anasazi. // Discover;Apr89, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p12
Describes the study of the Anasazi Indians by researchers at the University of Colorado at Boulder where ritualistic violence and cannibalism have been found in ceremonial sites. Other researchers explanations for the evidence of violence; Prevailing view that the Anasazi were nonviolent farmers.
- The Anasazi. Bell, Rick // Calliope;May/Jun92, Vol. 2 Issue 5, p37
Focuses on the Anasazi or Pueblo Indians. Geographic areas of the Anasazi's occupation; Periods of Anasazi culture; Theories on the Anasazi's abandonment of the Four Corners region of the Southwestern United States. INSET: The Anasazi today, by R.B..
- Santo Domingo ways. Shively, Ann; Shively, Jim // Appleseeds;Nov99, Vol. 2 Issue 3, p10
Describes the culture of the families residing at the Santo Domingo Pueblo in New Mexico.
- Building a pueblo. Weinstein, Mike // Appleseeds;Nov99, Vol. 2 Issue 3, p22
Describes how Pueblo Indians constructed their homes using adobe bricks mixed with straw and ashes.
- My first corn dance. Augustine, Katherine // Appleseeds;Nov99, Vol. 2 Issue 3, p24
Describes the history and celebrations related to the Corn Dance of Pueblo Indians in New Mexico.
- Word Wise. // Weekly Reader News - Edition 4;11/10/2006, Vol. 88 Issue 10, p8
A quiz on the meanings of words related to the dwellings of the Ancient Pueblos in Pueblo, Colorado is presented.
- Geographica: Anasazi Rope. Rollins, John B. // National Geographic;Jan2005, Vol. 207 Issue 1, Preceeding p1
Presents a letter to the editor in response to the article "Geographica: Anasazi Rope," in the September, 2004 issue.