- Exploring the role of a nicotine quantityâ€“frequency use criterion in the classification of nicotine dependence and the stability of a nicotine dependence continuum over time. McBride, Orla; Strong, David R.; Kahler, Christopher W. // Nicotine & Tobacco Research;Mar2010, Vol. 12 Issue 3, p207
Introduction:: This study investigated (a) the utility of a cigarette quantityâ€“frequency (QF) use criterion as an indicator for nicotine dependence (ND) and (b) the stability of the ND continuum of severity over time.
- Tobacco use up in smoke. CMAJ // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;8/20/2002, Vol. 167 Issue 4, p388
Reports that the number of Canadians who smoke is dropping, according to the Canadian Tobacco Use Monitoring Survey. Percentage of smokers in Canada as of 2001; Percentage of men and women smokers; Smoking among youth in Canada.
- QUIT SMOKING. Hobson, Katherine // U.S. News & World Report;12/27/2004-1/3/2005, Vol. 137 Issue 23, p74
Urges people to quit smoking cigarettes. Tobacco, which is the leading preventable cause of death; How to set up a plan to quit; Why counseling is important; How to eliminate cues that remind you of smoking; Use of nicotine replacements.
- Cigarette Smoking and the Pediatrician. Eisinger, Richard A. // Clinical Pediatrics;Nov1972, Vol. 11 Issue 11, p645
Focuses on the survey conducted by the U.S. Public Health Service's National Clearinghouse for Smoking and Health regarding the smoking behavior of pediatricians. Factors contributing to the increase incidence of smoking; Role of pediatricians in educating the public health matter on smoking;...
- Information from Your Family Doctor. How to Stop Smoking. // American Family Physician;3/15/2002, Vol. 65 Issue 6, p1117
Presents information on how to stop smoking. Need for a smoker to make the decision to quite smoking; How to get ready to quit; Suggestion that one use a nicotine replacement product to help one quit smoking.
- Ukraine: in the club with L&M. Simpson, David // Tobacco Control;Jun2002, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p89
A recent campaign for the Philip Morris (PM) brand L&M in the Ukraine took a more passive line, but played up the new, much wider personal horizons of Ukrainian citizens. Under a caption proclaiming "Flavour that unites the world", the advertisements invited potential L&M smokers to consider...
- Tobacco control policies and the concurrent use of smokeless tobacco and cigarettes among men, 1992â€“2002. Mumford, Elizabeth A.; Levy, David T.; Gitchell, Joe G.; Blackman, Kenneth O. // Nicotine & Tobacco Research;Dec2005, Vol. 7 Issue 6, p891
Accelerating the decline in smoking prevalence requires an understanding of changes in the concurrent use of and the substitution between different tobacco products, such as smokeless tobacco (SLT) and cigarettes. SLT could play an important role in reducing the toll of smokingâ€related...
- Sociometric status as a predictor of onset and progression in adolescent cigarette smoking. Aloise-Young, Patricia; Kaeppner, Christopher // Nicotine & Tobacco Research;Apr2005, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p199
The relation between sociometric status and adolescent cigarette smoking was examined in a 1-year longitudinal study. Students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grades (N?=?1,630) were asked to nominate peers in their grade at school whom they liked and peers whom they disliked. These nominations were used...
- Are Latinos really less likely to be smokers? Lessons from Oregon. Maher, Julie; Boysun, Michael; Rohde, Kristen; Stark, Michael; Pizacani, Barbara; Dilley, Julia; Mosbaek, Craig; Pickle, Kathryn // Nicotine & Tobacco Research;Apr2005, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p283
Our objective was to identify factors associated with current cigarette smoking among Latino adults in Oregon. We used data from 1,356 Latino participants and, for comparison, 18,593 non-Latino White participants in the 2000â€“2002 Oregon Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS)....