Connecticut Taking a Closer Look
- Cable Appears to Widen Data Lead. Stump, Matt // Multichannel News;5/6/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 18, p138
Reports the expansion of high-speed-data lead in cable communication industry in the U.S. Financial background of Verizon Communications and SBC Communications Inc.; Decrease in growth rate of major telecommunications; Rate of increase in major cable MSO subscribers.
- Competition. // CableFAX Daily;10/27/2005, Vol. 16 Issue 209, p1
Presents an update related to the cable television industry in the U.S. as of October 2005. Acquisition of a video franchise by Verizon in Apple Valley, California; Projected number of households to be reached by the Internet protocol television Project Lightspeed of SBC by 2008; Provision of...
- Conn.: IPTV Isn't Cable TV. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;6/12/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 24, p2
Reports on the decision of the commissioners of the Connecticut Department of Public Utility Control that Internet Protocol television (IPTV) does not meet the federal definition of a cable service. State governments that oppose the decision; Plan of Pennsylvania state senators to introduce...
- SBVS pleased with Texas test. Tedesco, Richard // Broadcasting & Cable;2/19/96, Vol. 126 Issue 8, p64
Reports that Southwestern Bell Video Services is confident about seguing into commercial deployment in early 1997. Comments from Steven Dimmitt, president and chief executive officer of the company; Prices of its basic cable package; SBVS parent SBC Communications.
- VERIZON ADVANCES ON VIDEO. // Telephony;12/13/2004, Vol. 245 Issue 24, p9
This article reports that Verizon Communication Inc. last week nailed down its second cable franchise, its first in Texas and got a clear view of the opposition it can expect from the cable industry as it goes community by- community to add video to its fiber-to-the-premises initiative. Because...
- Dialing for HDTV. Taub, Eric // Sound & Vision;Jan2006, Vol. 71 Issue 1, p22
This article presents information on the plans of SBC and Verizon to offer high-speed Internet, television channels and video on demand in separate ventures. The article points out the changes to be caused by this technology in terms of cable service. It also details the services to be launched...
- Telco Franchise Issue Lingers. Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;11/1/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 44, p6
Reports on the franchise requirement issue in the U.S. telecommunication industry. Information on the franchise agreement needed to construct cable network business; Public stance of Verizon Communications Inc. and SBC Communications Inc. on franchise agreements; Suggestions for phone companies...
- Telcos Are Timed Out in Texas. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;6/6/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 23, p6
Focuses on the failure of Verizon Communications Inc. and SBC Communications Inc. to convince Texas legislators to approve a bill that included language centralizing franchise authority as of June 2005. Benefits provided by the disapproved bill to cable operators according to analyst Craig...
- Whining Allowed: Cable's Competitors Complain to Commission. // CableFAX Daily;10/17/2005, Vol. 16 Issue 201, p1
Presents the views of several cable operators in the U.S. regarding the state of competition in the industry as of October 2005. EchoStar Communications; Verizon Communications; SBC Communications.