Will VOD Benefit From DVD Woes?
- Video-on-Demand Packs a New Wallop. Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;4/17/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 16, p30
Focuses on the threat posed by Walt Disney's video broadband technology to the profitability of video-on-demand (VOD) services being offered by cable operators in the U.S. Decision of Walt Disney to distribute episodes from four TV series via its Web site; Failure of Walt Disney to reach any...
- Cable's Tech Leaders See Big Picture. Brown, Karen // Multichannel News;5/6/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 18, p123
Focuses on the issues concerning video-on-demand (VOD) and set-top box strategies of the cable industry in the U.S. Characteristics of VOD networks; Problem with asset distribution; Development of equipment for broadband communication.
- DISNEY TO BOW SUBSCRIPTION VOD SERVICE WITH FAMILY-THEMED MOVIES. Gruenwedel, Erik // Home Media Magazine;8/30/2010, Vol. 32 Issue 35, p10
The article talks about the cable-based subscription video-on-demand service entitled "Disney Family Movies" which will be offered by Walt Disney Co.
- Cable 'Lost' In Disney Plans. Moss, Linda; Umstead, R. Thomas; Farrell, Mike; Gibbons, Kent // Multichannel News;4/17/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 16, p47
Focuses on the issue concerning the decision of Walt Disney Co. to offer several hit TV programs online for free. Impact of the decision on video-on-demand services of cable operators; Reasons for the long-standing dispute between cable operators and Walt Disney; Advantages of offering video...
- Disney in Cable VOD Deal. Gruenwedel, Erik // Home Media Retailing;11/26/2006, Vol. 28 Issue 49, p1
The article reports on a content-distribution deal announced by the Walt Disney Co. and Comcast Corp. that will make ABC TV prime-time programming and movies available for video-on-demand viewing on cable. The deal will include movies from Disney, Touchstone and Miramax. Initial movie titles...
- Iger: Show me a Model. Farrell, Mike // Multichannel News;4/6/2009, Vol. 30 Issue 14, p2
The article discusses the assessment of Robert Iger, CEO of Walt Disney Co. on the web subscription model proposal in the cable industry in the U.S. He says that the industry must find an online model that works sufficiently for programmers and distributors. He praised the industry, but warned...
- OPEN MIKE. // Broadcasting & Cable;7/5/2004, Vol. 134 Issue 27, p20
Presents letters to the editor referencing articles and topics discussed in previous issues of "Broadcasting & Cable" magazine. "85 Billion dollars Later: Still No Space," which reports on the alleged capacity shortage facing cable operators; Stories on the Web site and the "TV Fax" titled "ABC...
- ESPN Broadband Ups Operator Appeal. Stump, Matt // Multichannel News;12/1/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 48, p14A
Analyzes the business status of ESPN Broadband, which offers video news to cable modem subscribers in the U.S., as of December 2003. Deals signed with sports-content provider including RCN; Availability of the service.
- BRIEFS. // Cable World (10427228);1/20/2003, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p28
Presents news briefs on the cable television industry in the U.S. as of January 20, 2003. Interoperability tests conducted by Manticom Networks between its Scorpion 4104 and SeaChange International's voice-on-demand system; Growth rate of home broadband access; Tender offer planned by Motorola...