Why the guns?
- At home with guns. Wilkinson, Todd // Christian Science Monitor;5/26/99, Vol. 91 Issue 126, p11
Focuses on gun ownership by families in the United States. The Munther family of Missoula, Montana; School shootings; Laws restricting a child's access to guns at home; Children and hunting; Gun safety as an integral part of the culture; The public's overall concept about firearms.
- Perspectives. Walsh, Catherine // America;4/18/1998, Vol. 178 Issue 13, p5
Discusses the social aspects of owning guns in the United States. Emotional and psychological pains of the victims of gun shooting; Accounts of gun shooting victims; Role of the media in gun control.
- Guns R Us? Wink, Walter // Christian Century;03/21/2001, Vol. 118 Issue 10, p21
Analyzes the historical perspective of gun ownership in the United States. Information on the different uses of guns; Development of gun use; Discussion of the book `Arming America: The Origins of a National Gun Culture,' by Michael A. Bellesiles.
- Welcome to L.A.: Now get outta the car. Shah, Diane K. // Esquire;Aug93, Vol. 120 Issue 2, p44
Discusses crime and violence in Los Angeles, California. Incidents involving the author's acquaintances; Wake of the riots after the Rodney King trial; Gangs; Increased gun sales; Fears of residents; Ambivalent attitude toward police; Effects on Hollywood; Situation in Beverly Hills.
- Geeks ... With Guns. Petzal, David E. // Field & Stream;Jul99, Vol. 104 Issue 3, p40
Focuses on the increase in gun-related violence among children in the United States as of July 1999. Background on the history of children's access to guns in the US; Media's role in the increase in violence.
- Brutal youth. Nielsen, Carla; Schwarz, Christopher // State Government News;Aug94, Vol. 37 Issue 8, p22
Addresses youth violence in places in the United States with the highest murder rates. Mortality on gun-related causes; Contributing factors; Need for additional police resources and courts; Age range of perpetrators; Imposition of curfew; Lack of after-school hour programs for children. ...
- The prevalence of guns in grade schools. Chaddock, Gail Russell; Grier, Peter // Christian Science Monitor;3/2/2000, Vol. 92 Issue 69, p2
Offers statistics and information on the number of United States grade school students who have been expelled for carrying firearms.
- What should we be doing about gun violence? Boyland // New York Amsterdam News;10/07/99, Vol. 90 Issue 41, p13
Calls on community leaders, parents, advocates and residents to take concrete steps to address the tragic effects of gun violence in the United States. Sponsoring of the Communities United Against Gun Violence campaign to build momentum for sensible gun control legislation; Problem of keeping...
- The financial costs of gun violence. Gunderson, Linda // Annals of Internal Medicine;09/21/99, Vol. 131 Issue 6, p483
Examines the financial costs of gun violence in the United States. Amount of medical expenses and lost productivity related to gun violence in 1996; Trend of large cities filing lawsuits against gun manufacturers; Statistics supporting the connection between drugs, alcohol, and gun violence;...