Clinton expected to sign Ed-Flex bill
- First Nine States Receive Federal Reading First Grants; Funding to Begin Flowing this Spring. // Educational Marketer;9/16/2002, Vol. 33 Issue 27, p1
Reports that nine states are set to be the first to receive the United States government's Reading First grants under a program to help improve students' reading achievement that was established in the No Child Left Behind federal education reform act.
- The New Three R's: Reinvestment, Reinvention, Responsibility. Lieberman, Joseph I. // Issues in Science & Technology;Spring2001, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p37
Discusses the significance of money, creativity and accountability in the development of high quality schools and teachers in the United States. Decline in the number of students receiving undergraduate degrees in engineering; Aim of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act; Proposal to link...
- Goals 2000: Making it work. Riley, Richard W. // Teaching Pre K-8;Nov/Dec94, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p6
States that after president Clinton signed the Goals 2000: Educate America Act into law, more than 30 states have received more than $70 million in federal money to assist in ongoing statewide and local efforts to improve their schools. No state's school reform plan is alike; Three states'...
- Legislative update. // Education Week;6/15/94, Vol. 13 Issue 38, p14
Presents summaries of budget requests for pre-collegiate education and final action by legislatures on education-related matters in the United States. Name of states; Fiscal year 1995 proposed and final state budgets; Fiscal year 1994 and 1995 proposed and final K-12 budgets; Percent change of...
- Hawaii awarded first Goals 2000 planning grant. Pitsch, Mark // Education Week;7/13/94, Vol. 13 Issue 39, p15
Reports on the education-reform planning grant required under the Goals 2000: Educate America Act awarded to Hawaii. Due date of applications for planning grant; Distribution of subgrants to a consortia of institutions involved in education reform.
- Ala. joins 3 other states in rejecting goals 2000 funding. Pitsch, Mark // Education Week;10/11/95, Vol. 15 Issue 6, p20
Reports that Alabama has become the fourth state to decline federal funding under the Goals 2000: Educate America Act. Condition for the receipt of federal grant; Amount awarded to the state under the program which was returned by Governor Fob James Jr.; Criticism that the program could become...
- STAR SCHOOLS. // Science Teacher;May2000, Vol. 67 Issue 5, p62
Announces the availability of five-year grants and awards from the Star Schools Program in the United States. Program's encouragement of improved instruction in mathematics, science, foreign languages and other subjects; Support for underserved populations; Reauthorization of the program under...
- HOW TO... Win a Million for Your Program. // NEA Today;Feb2002, Vol. 20 Issue 5, p26
Presents advice for schools on winning federal grants in the United States. Importance of staff development; Literacy funds designated in the Elementary and Secondary Education Act.
- ESEA, budget, international education are key issues. Long, Richard // Reading Today;Jun/Jul94, Vol. 11 Issue 6, p6
Reports on the progress in Congress of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) and bills on federal budget deficit and international basic education. Completion of the House action on ESEA; Reauthorization of the block grant; Redirection of the focus of bilingual education; Possible...