Science Reporters and Their Editors Judge "Sensationalism"
- TEST YE THE JOURNALISTS. Pollard, Frank // Journal of Religion & Psychical Research;Apr96, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p93
Comments on the necessity of testing the credibility of journalists who are prone to sensationalist journalistic practices. Significance of resolving the fact-or-fiction controversy; Cases of supernatural phenomena that are sensationalized by the media.
- GODZONE. Ralston, Bill // Metro (NZ);Sep2000, Issue 231, p39
Comments on the trend towards sensationalism among journalists in Auckland, New Zealand. Publications such as 'The Herald,' and 'Dominion,' which have decided to ride the sensational bandwagon; Examples of scandal stories which abounded in the local media.
- Our hypersensitive society. Leo, John // U.S. News & World Report;7/4/94, Vol. 117 Issue 1, p21
Opinion. Considers how bias stories are a familiar genre in American newspapers. Several examples; Elaborate victim culture which allows these bias accusations to thrive; Bias reports that are intended to be taken as objective studies; Negative twist on news that is really quite positive; How...
- The great pretenders. Weaver, Paul H. // Reason;Mar94, Vol. 25 Issue 10, p27
Discusses newspapers and newsmakers' capacity to instill a daily sense of crises and emergency. Misrepresentation of public life even with correct facts; Sample story; Methods of conveying a sense of emergency response.
- Media love to act `concerned' while merely echoing what activists feed them. Sowell, Thomas // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;4/24/95, Vol. 24 Issue 43, p19
Discusses the media's inclination to use activists-provided information unquestioningly. Reports about the alleged increase in wife battering on Super Bowl Sunday; Question on the sources of Dan Rather's statistics about the prevalence of starving American children; Need for the media to assume...
- American gothic. Toobin, Jeffrey // New Yorker;07/28/97, Vol. 73 Issue 21, p4
Opinion. Comments on the domination of sensationalism in public news in the United States. Reasons for the rampancy of sensational news; Examples of sensational news in the United States; Use of gothic tradition in the public narratives.
- The 10 Best scoops. // Campaign (UK);12/17/2002, Issue 51, p12
Presents 10 best sensational news of Great Britain in the year 2002. Attaintment of top position by the news John Major and Edwina Currie affair published in 'The Times'; Paul Burrell's story published in 'Daily Mirror'; White Couple Have Black IVF Twins published in 'The Sun.'
- El necesario debate Ã©tico sobre las tÃ©cnicas de obtenciÃ³n de informaciÃ³n en televisiÃ³n: cÃ¡mara oculta y sensacionalismo. Redondo García, Marta // ComunicaciÃ³n y Hombre;nov2013, Vol. 9, p187
The article discusses the need to deepen the study of newsgathering techniques as mechanisms that contribute to make reality spectacular, especially on television. It also analyzes hidden camera as a newsgathering method that implies serious ethical risks. Among them are: its accusatory...
- DesafÃos Ã©ticos de la cobertura televisiva de un hecho traumÃ¡tico. YEZ F., LYUBA // Cuadernos de InformaciÃ³n;jun2013, Issue 32, p39
The following article refers to the discussions and ethical challenges presented by the television coverage of a situation of trauma or disaster for the newsroom and work routines of journalists, especially in regard to sensationalism, suffering and privacy of individuals. The approach to this...