Proposed tax cut would bankrupt D.C., official says
- When Cities Go Bankrupt. Cavanaugh, Tim // Reason;Jan2013, Vol. 44 Issue 8, p70
The article presents author's comment on the municipal bankruptcies that have positive impact on taxpayers in the U.S. It offers information on the role of government employee compensation including health and retirement in municipal bankruptcies. It mentions that there are 640 public...
- Commission to propose changes to municipal bankruptcy law. Hume, Lynn Stevens // Bond Buyer;10/16/97, Vol. 322 Issue 30253, p5
Reports that the National Bankruptcy Review Commission plans to propose changes to the municipal bankruptcy law. Proposals which stem from concerns after Orange County, California filed for bankruptcy in 1994; Reaction of James Spiotto, a partner at Chapman and Cutler, to the proposals; List of...
- Bankruptcies. // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);3/10/97, Vol. 17 Issue 36, p31
Presents information on petitions that were filed in the United States Bankruptcy Court in the Eastern District of Louisiana during February 1997.
- Detroit Bankruptcy Plan to be Filed Friday, Reports Say. Devitt, Caitlin // Bond Buyer;2/21/2014, Vol. 123 Issue F308, p1
The article informs that Detroit, Michigan is looking to file a bankrupt city plan in federal bankruptcy court, to treat its general obligation bonds as unsecured as of February 21, 2014.
- Distorted reality. Howell, Shea // Michigan Citizen;7/20/2014, Vol. 36 Issue 37, pA1
The article focuses on the impact of municipal bankruptcy of Detroit, Michigan, on the life of Detroit's people as of July 2014 such as generous tax breaks, pension obligations and water shutoffs.
- ALABAMA: JeffCo Committee Urged. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;5/17/2012, Vol. 380 Issue 33716, p7
The article reports on the recommendation of the case administrator in the municipal bankruptcy case in Jefferson County, Alabama which stresses the appointment of an unsecured creditors committee.
- FYI...U.S. bankruptcy filings. // Plastics News;9/8/1997, Vol. 9 Issue 28, p3
Presents statistical information on United States bankruptcy filings for the period 1988 to 1997.
- LOCAL FISCAL AUTONOMY REQUIRES CONSTRAINTS: THE CASE FOR FISCAL MENUS. Shanske, Darien // Stanford Law & Policy Review;2014, Vol. 25 Issue 1, p9
The article offers information on the law reform to fiscal autonomy and fiscal powers of local governments to enhance the operations of local democratic government in the U.S. Topics discussed include the types of municipal debt, principle of taxation and tax policies at the local level and...
- JeffCo GOs May Not Be GOs. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;5/24/2012, p1
The article discusses the issue concerning the municipal bankruptcy in Alabama, and its implication on general obligation bonds. It indicates that the lack of financial support from lawmakers to pay for public services poised Jefferson County to pursue a repudiation of its 200.5 million dollars...