School vote reforms top Michigan Republicans' agenda
- `Distinguished educators' train their focus on instruction. Olson, Lynn // Education Week;04/01/98, Vol. 17 Issue 29, p6
Part IV. Presents a discussion on the program School Transformation Assistance and Renewal (STAR), a part of the Kentucky Education Reform Act of 1990. How the program helps the schools; Details of the program; Roles of distinguished educators on the program; Views of teachers on the program.
- Elementary school counselors: A plan for marketing their services under the new education reform. Holcomb, Thomas F.; Niffenegger, Philip B. // Elementary School Guidance & Counseling;Oct92, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p56
Presents a model that the Kentucky counseling and development profession is using to seize the moment for marketing what the presence of school counselors in every elementary school in the commonwealth can do to promote new reform goals. Overview of the Kentucky Education Reform Act;...
- Guest Editor's Introdution. Wing-Wah Law // Chinese Education & Society;May/Jun99, Vol. 32 Issue 3, p3
Focuses on education laws and regulations in China. Two unprecedented major rules regulating the course of educational reform since the gradual introduction of market forces; Two complicated tensions reflecting the difficulties in the use of laws to govern new relations and practices in...
- Top-down--bottom-up: Systemic change in Kentucky. Steffy, Betty E. // Educational Leadership;Sep93, Vol. 51 Issue 1, p42
Discusses the Kentucky Education Reform Act (KERA) of 1990, a comprehensive statewide restructuring effort calling for top-down and bottom-up systemic change. Raising the standards of education; Baseline score targets; Passage of KERA; The Primary School Program; Shifting to individual schools.
- Charter-schools idea gaining converts in legislatures. Diegmueller, Karen // Education Week;7/14/1993 Extra Edition, Vol. 12 Issue 39, p18
Reports on the widening acceptance of the concept of charter-schools in legislatures. Educational reform; Adoption of charter-school legislation by New Mexico, Georgia, Colorado, and Massachusetts; Shift in thinking about the process for establishing new institutions.
- School Reform by Remote Control: SB 813 in California. Cuban, Larry // Phi Delta Kappan;Nov84, Vol. 66 Issue 3, p213
Discusses the SB 813 school reform legislation in California. Provisions of the mentor teacher program legislation; Background on other education reform bills considered by the state legislature; Weaknesses of the legislation; Assumption that teaching is closer to making cars than to carving...
- CAPITOL RECAP. Gehring, John; Sandham, Jessica L.; Johnston, Robert C. // Education Week;1/9/2002, Vol. 21 Issue 16, p17
Offers education-related highlights of legislative sessions in several states of the United States as of January 9, 2002. Inclusion of Massachusetts legislators' protection of most K-12 funding in its completion of the state budget; Ohio legislators' compliance with court-ordered changes to the...
- Judge strikes challenge to Oregon reform measure. Walsh, Mark // Education Week;3/12/97, Vol. 16 Issue 24, p16
Reports on the February 26, 1997 ruling in the legal challenge to Oregon's comprehensive 1991 school reform law. National Legal Foundation and the American Family Association Law Center as the two conservative groups supporting the lawsuit; Key allegations in the lawsuit.
- Kentucky's conflicting reform principles. Jones, Ken; Whitford, Betty Lou // Phi Delta Kappan;Dec97, Vol. 79 Issue 4, p276
Examines the Kentucky Instructional Results Information System (KIRIS), the assessment and accountability component of the Kentucky Education Reform Act (KERA). The idea and evolution of KIRIS; The effects of KIRIS.