Landmark global settlement surprises most of muni industry
- Lazard settles yield-burning charges. Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;04/23/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30626, p1
Reports that Lazard Freres & Co. will pay $11 million to settle federal yield burning charges. Template for any future global yield burning settlement; Terms of the settlement.
- Finish what you start, even distressed. // High Yield Report;04/26/99, Vol. 10 Issue 17, p3
Focuses on the lawsuit filed by Murray Capital Management against Lazard Dreres & Co., over a trade of distressed loans that were originated to finance construction of the Eurotunnel between England and France. Details regarding the litigation at issue; Claims and contentions of both parties...
- Solomon fires first salvo in war with Lazard Freres. Johnson, Ben // National Real Estate Investor;Jun99, Vol. 41 Issue 7, p10
Reports on the claims filed by fund manager Arthur Solomon with the New York Stock Exchange against his former company, Lazard Freres, for alleged breach of fiduciary duty and defamation. Details on the lawsuit; Press statement issued by Solomon.
- Lazard talking settlement. Hume, Lynn Stevens // Bond Buyer;01/11/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30555, p1
Details Lazard Freres & Co.'s desire to settle the yield-burning charges filed against it by the United States National Association of Securities Dealers and the Securities and Exchange Commission. Overcharges made against the Los Angeles Metropolitan Transportation Authority and former Smith...
- Lawyer charges yield-burning cases prosecutable under False Claims Act. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;05/19/98, Vol. 324 Issue 30396, p5
Focuses on Phillips & Cohen Partner Erika Kelton's claim that yield burning violates the federal False Claims Act in the United States. Appearance before the American Bar Association Tax Section's committee on Tax-Exempt Financing; False Claims Act cases against financial Lazard Freres in...
- Lazard in talks to settle yield-burning suit. Figler, Andrea; Hume, Lynn Stevens // Bond Buyer;09/23/98, Vol. 325 Issue 30484, p35
Focuses on the significance of Lazard Freres & Co.'s potential settlement of a yield-burning lawsuit in California on the prospects for a global settlement at the federal level. Negotiation with Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority and co-plaintiff Michael Lissack; Similar...
- Lazard Freres offers to settle L.A. MTA yield-burning case. Figler, Andrea; Marois, Michael B. // Bond Buyer;09/25/98, Vol. 325 Issue 30486, p1
Reports on Lazard Freres & Co.'s offer to settle securities yield-burning allegations filed by the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority in California. Claims of the authority against Lazard under the state's whistleblower statute; Issues on yield-burning and arbitrage abuse...
- Lazard sued. Harrington, John // Crain's New York Business;5/6/96, Vol. 12 Issue 19, p34
Reports on a lawsuit filed against Lazard Freres and Company by the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Authority and former investment banker Michael Lissack. Citings of lawsuit.
- Court grants stay in SEC civil suit; criminal fraud trial will proceed. McKenna, Jon // Bond Buyer;08/06/98, Vol. 325 Issue 30451, p3
Reports on United States District Court Judge Willis Hunt's agreement to let the Securities and Exchange Commission postpone its civic securities fraud case against former Lazard Freres & Co. and Stephens Inc. bankers until after their criminal prosecution. Background on the securities fraud...