Yea or Nay?
- You Can Fight City Hall--The Dover, N.H., IAFF Defeat of Privatized Fire Protection. Hurd, Richard W.; Kriesky, Jill K. // Labor Studies Journal;Fall85, Vol. 10 Issue 2, p123
In recent years public sector unions have faced an increasingly difficult bargaining environment. In 1983 the city of Dover, New Hampshire, reached an agreement with Wackenhut Corp. for the provision of fire protection services. Had it been implemented, the contract would have undermined the...
- THE EFFECT OF UNIONIZATION ON WAGES IN THE PUBLIC SECTOR: THE CASE OF THE FIRE FIGHTERS. Ashenfelter, Orley // ILR Review;Jan71, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p191
The article presents a study on the effect of the International Association of Fire Fighters on the wages of fire fighters in the U.S. over the period 1960-1966. The study aims to estimate the wage effects of labor unions in the public sector. The findings of the study suggests that hourly wages...
- Union pressures paid members to resign as volunteers. // Fire Engineering;Sep2010, Vol. 163 Issue 9, p41
The article reports that members of the International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) are being forced to resign if they are two-hatters or union members who serve as career firefighters and volunteer firefighters in other departments.
- ECONOMIC EFFECTS OF THE FIREFIGHTERS' UNION. Ichniowski, Casey // Industrial & Labor Relations Review;Jan80, Vol. 33 Issue 2, p198
The article presents findings of a study on the effect of the International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) union on wages, salaries and total compensation of fire fighters in the U.S. Population is positively related to the demand for fire services and opportunity wage is negatively related...
- Fits over fitness. Manning, Bill // Fire Engineering;Dec96, Vol. 149 Issue 12, p6
Editorial. Focuses on the dispute between the International Association of Fire Chief (IAFC) and the International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) Union Local 42 regarding the Firefighter Combat Challenge. Background on the dispute; IAFF's opposition to the proposed NFP 1583 and to...
- IAFF and IAFC support haz-mat tracking system. // Fire Engineering;Mar2000, Vol. 153 Issue 3, p44
Reports that the International Association of Fire Fighters and the International Association of Fire Chiefs are joining efforts to gain firefighters access to Operation Respond Emergency Information System (OREIS). Contents of the OREIS; Application of the OREIS to firefighters' safety.
- Mo. Firefighters Vote No Confidence in Chief. // Fire Chief Expert Blog;8/27/2012, p2
The article reports that the International Association of Firefighters (IAFF) Local 781 in Independence, Missouri has presented city officials with a no confidence vote for fire chief Sandra Schiess, citing repeated leadership failures.
- Pa. Chief Resigns Over 'Union Resistance'. // Fire Chief Exclusive Insight;5/25/2011, p1
The article focuses on the statement of former Coatesville, Pennsylvania Fire Chief Kevin Johnson regarding his resignation. It states that Johnson argues that it is the resistance of the union that lead to his resignation as fire chief. He argues that the resignation was not because of the...
- Safety Week Begins Sunday, Focuses on Fireground Survival. // Fire Chief Exclusive Insight;6/17/2011, p1
The article reports that the International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC) is encouraging fire departments across the U.S. to participate in the annual Fire/ Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Safety, Health, and Survival Week on June 19-25, 2011. It says that the theme of the event focuses on...