- The Naked Chief. // Fire Chief;Jun2008, Vol. 52 Issue 6, p6
The author reflects on the responsibilities of every fire chief during fire emergency. She states that experience is more critical in emergency service. The author notes that fire officers who are updated with innovative technology can offer valuable resources to the fire department. She...
- TRAINING BY DESIGN. Wilmoth, Janet // Fire Chief;Apr2009, Vol. 53 Issue 4, p40
The article reports on the move of fire chiefs and officers to turn to public safety architects to design accessible and economical training facilities into their stations in the U.S. It notes that the budgetary pressures faced by many fire departments are causing such chiefs to incorporate...
- Fit to fight fires. // Daily Mail;11/15/2013, p66
THE Fire Brigades Union is up in arms about plans to increase fire- fighters' retirement age to 60. They say a 60-yea-old wouldn't be capable of climbing a ladder and rescuing somebody from a house fire.
- News in Brief. // Fire Engineering;Mar2002, Vol. 155 Issue 3, p56
Reports developments among fire departments in the U.S. Recognition of the late Ray Downey, deputy chief of the Fire Department of New York with the Fire Engineering Courage and Valor Foundation award; Death of firefighter Anthony Manno in Maryland; Release of the 2001 preliminary firefighter...
- Out of sight shouldn't be out of chief's mind. McCormack, Jim // Fire Chief;Apr2003, Vol. 47 Issue 4, p20
Discusses factors to be considered by a fire chief when training firefighters. Support of firefighters through training; Development of a solid fire department training program; Responsibility of the fire chief to the members of the fire department and their families.
- Darwin and the volunteer fire service. Coleman, Ronny // Fire Chief Expert Blog;9/15/2013, p1
The article presents information on volunteer fire chiefs in the U.S. It states that, though, volunteer fire chiefs are not paid for their services, but their duties are no less than the fire chiefs who receive compensation. However, volunteer fire chiefs have to spend limited time period in...
- Staffing Tops Chiefs' Worries. // Fire Chief;Feb2006, Vol. 50 Issue 2, p13
The article reports on the finding by the International Association of Fire Chiefs that the three major challenges faced by fire departments in the United States are staffing, funding and increased demands for service. Staffing is also the top challenge faced by volunteer departments. Included...
- SCORCHED EARTH. Pierson, Terry // Editor & Publisher;Feb2013, Vol. 146 Issue 2, p16
A photograph of a Los Angeles fire department truck as it travels through the burnt valley brush during the over 3,000-acre Buck Fire in Riverside County, California on August 15, 2012 in which one resident and two firefighters were injured is presented.
- ANY MOMENT. // Fire Chief;Jun2004, Vol. 48 Issue 6, p20
Presents a photograph depicting the rescue effort conducted by firemen on passengers of a monorail that was hit by a fire in Seattle, Washington.