The Good Grandees
- All About Art Deco. Pacitti, Michael // Art Business News;Spring2014, p74
The article discusses the Art Deco design style, focusing on an overview of its history and aesthetics as a reference for the picture framing industry. Topics include the style's original prominence from 1925-1937 and current resurgence of popularity, the emphasis on geometric shapes and a...
- Dan Dailey: Directions in Glass. Kaminsky, Christine // American Craft;Oct/Nov2010, Vol. 70 Issue 5, p72
The article profiles the career of glass artist Dan Dailey.
- â€žDIALOG” BETWEEN GEOGRAPHIC AND ART LANDSCAPES. RADU, Alexandrina (MOCANU) // Annals of the University of Oradea, Geography Series / Analele U;Jun2012, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p112
The study focuses on the existing relationship between geographical landscape and artistic landscape. The connection painter-environment will be followed starting from the dialogue embedded in the cave paintings until its abstraction in the art of the 20th century painters. The relationship...
- Near and Distant: Mark Workman's Luminist Vision. Hutton, Molly // Gettysburg Review;Winter2004, Vol. 17 Issue 4, p574
This article focuses on artist Mark Workman's panoramic vistas and more narrowly focused studies of individual elements of nature which, most commonly solitary meditations on trees, reveal an ongoing concern with light and its effects upon natural objects, as well as an ability to convey the...
- Looking for the new in the New Aesthetic. Jacob, Sam // Art Review;Dec2012, Issue 64, p44
The article focuses on the New Aesthetic, a phrase used to refer to both a blog on the website Tumblr and an art movement based on digital technology and the internet. The article discusses the Tumblr blog, which belongs to James Bridle, its content and the sense of nostalgia that it promotes....
- Luminist paintings in California. Harrison Jr., Alfred C. // Magazine Antiques;Nov2001, Vol. 160 Issue 5, p670
Features several paintings in California that are classified under the luminist art subcategory. Key features of luminist paintings; Artists and art scholars who promoted the growth of luminism; Historical background on luminist art.
- ARTISTS' STATEMENTS. // Provincetown Arts;1992, Vol. 8, p49
Presents statements from artists on various issues. Opinion of Aris Logothetis on modernism as an artistic revolution; Impact of an impressionist painting on a viewer according to Monte Becker; Criticisms of Dionis Owens on portraits done from photographs.
- California Poppy Field. Southgate, M. Therese // JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association;10/13/2004, Vol. 292 Issue 14, p1659
Provides information about Impressionist artist Granville Redmond. Details of his life as a deaf artist; Appearance of Redmond in several Charlie Chaplin films; Description of his painting "California Poppy Field."
- Session V: Panel Discussion. Boyers, Robert; Danto, Arthur; Fisher, Philip; Sontag, Susan; Fried, Michael; Dietz, Steve; Gurstein, Rochelle; Tucker, Paul; Diggory, Terence // Salmagundi;Summer/Fall2003, Issue 139/140, p201
This article presents views of intellectuals on several paintings. Paintings of Jasper Johns involve the necessity to take the painting in part by part, for a long time, before one can grasp the sense of the whole. The earlier twentieth century idea of composition implied that there should be...