Approaches to management: styles of leadership
- Navigating Complex Challenges -- Leadership with a Creative Edge. Horth, David M.; Palus, Charles J. // Manager: British Journal of Administrative Management;Sep/Oct2002, Issue 33, p21
Discusses how industrial management teams can attain creative leadership. Need to use multiple modes of perception to understand a complex situation; Need to look into one's own or others' life experiences to gain insight and create energy to tackle group challenges; Need to make sense of...
- Creative Thinking. May, Thornton // AIIM E-DOC;Sep/Oct2004, Vol. 18 Issue 5, p67
Researchers at the IT Leadership Academy of the Florida Community College in Jacksonville, Florida, are building a series of future leadership skills inventories for a variety of occupational categories. To get one to start toward completing future leadership skills inventory, the author of this...
- UNDERSTANDING PROGRAM MANAGEMENT COMPETENCE: A PHENOMENOGRAPHIC STUDY. PARTINGTON, DAVID; YOUNG, MALCOLM; PELLEGRINELLI, SERGIO // Academy of Management Proceedings;2003, pB1
The application of the interpretive research specialization known as phenomenography to the study of management competence offers a powerful and attractive epistemological alternative to traditional approaches. Focusing on method, we outline a phenomenographic study of competence using...
- The Story of Data-and Dialogue-Driven Leadership. Welbourne, Theresa M. // Chief Learning Officer;Apr2007, Vol. 6 Issue 4, p42
The article discusses the story concerning on the data- and dialogue-driven leadership in the U.S. The author presents the challenge of explaining the meaning and methodology behind the data- and dialogue-driven model of effective leadership. She decided that weaving abstract concept, factual...
- Rob Briner rounds up the latest HRM studies. Briner, Rob // People Management;11/8/2001, Vol. 7 Issue 22, p61
Discusses the research reported by Waldman et al in the 2001 issue of 'Academy of Management Journal' about the link of charismatic leadership qualities to the performance of their companies. Characteristics of charismatic leaders; Assessment of the charismatic leadership qualities of the chief...
- POOR LEADERS. Roberts, John // Meat Trades Journal;2/4/2011, Issue 3, p10
The article offers information on the characteristics of poor and incompetent leaders in various industries including the attitude to delegate work to others than focus on balancing workloads, prefer to answer with yes or no rather than explain their reasoning, and take praise from peers for...
- Stay one step ahead of the sheep. // Executive Leadership;Feb2012, Vol. 27 Issue 2, p4
The article presents a discussion on leadership and business improvement under risk-averse leaders, adapted from the online article "Schumpeter: Built to last" at economist.com/blogs/schumpeter.
- Leadership nuggets for budding leaders. // Executive Leadership;Feb2012, Vol. 27 Issue 2, p4
The article presents a discussion on leadership training and tips for budding leaders to become successful, adapted from the article "Footnotes to Success" by Michelle Medley.
- 5 ways to deal with the first no. Eblin, Scott // Executive Leadership;Feb2012, Vol. 27 Issue 2, p7
The article discusses the leadership strategies that deals with a negative response which include taking no at face value, asking the reasons behind the response, and picking the spots on things that do not matter much.