Redstone Officially Out as CEO in '06
- DOUBLE VISION. Goldsmith, Jill // Daily Variety;10/6/2005, Vol. 289 Issue 4, p1
Focuses on the division of Viacom Inc. into two. Retention of Sumner Redstone as chairman of the divided companies; Creation of overlapping directors by the boards of the two companies; Detection of the existence of competition between executives Tom Freston and Leslie Moonves.
- Viacom Cable Assets Focus of Speculation Post-Split. Sherman, Jay // Television Week;6/20/2005, Vol. 24 Issue 25, p9
Reports on the approval of plans to divide Viacom into two publicly traded operating entities by the board of directors. Speculation arising from the move; Details of the proposed division; Appointment of Shari Redstone, daughter of Viacom chairman and CEO Sumner Redstone, at the company.
- Decision Near on Viacom Split. Sherman, Jay // Television Week;5/30/2005, Vol. 24 Issue 22, p15
Focuses on the continued negotiations regarding the proposed split of Viacom by the end of June 2005. Reason for splitting the company; Views of Viacom Chairman and CEO Sumner Redstone on the proposed split of the company; Topics that were discussed during the annual shareholders meeting of the...
- DIVIDE AND CONQUER? Bart, Peter // Variety;11/16/2009, Vol. 417 Issue 1, p1
This article reports on the outcome of a decision made in 2005 by the media businessperson Sumner Redstone to divide his media conglomerate Viacom into two companies, Viacom and CBS Corp. Redstone believed that the split would cause the companies to increase in value, but critics argue that it...
- Redstone fails at succession. // Advertising Age;6/7/2004, Vol. 75 Issue 23, p28
Criticizes the decision of Sumner Redstone, chairman of Viacom, to launch a CEO-succession battle between Tom Freston of MTV and Les Moonves of CBS. Background of the merger between CBS and Viacom; Percentage of voting stock in Viacom controlled by Redstone; Succession planning at Viacom.
- Viacom, Dis get bullish. Szalai, Georg; Rose, Maria Matzer; Sperling, Nicole; Anderson, Kathleen // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;11/4/2003, Vol. 381 Issue 7, p4
With Super Bowl advertising inventory 80% sold out, CBS beating NBC in the Thursday night ratings war and his company investing to position itself for an economic rebound, Viacom Inc. chairman and CEO Sumner Redstone said Monday at an investor conference that he is confident Viacom can keep its...
- Retire? No Way! Sellers, Patricia // Fortune;8/22/2005, Vol. 152 Issue 4, p18
Looks at Sumner Redstone, CEO of Viacom. His conversation with Disney CEO Michael Eisner and what he says about retirement; His advice to others on succession and talking about age; His likely activities when he becomes chairman of the two companies to be created after the Viacom split.
- The Deal of a Lifetime. Matters, Craig; Rafi, Natasha // Money;Jan2000, Vol. 29 Issue 1, p44
Presents an interview with Sumner Redstone, chief executive officer of Viacom, who talks about why he bought CBS. Why he decided to buy the company; How he gets along with CBS chief Mel Karmazin; What his strategy is outside of the United States. INSET: Here's the strategy...and where it can...
- Media giants face divorce court. Flamm, Matthew // Crain's New York Business;8/22/2005, Vol. 21 Issue 34, p1
The article focuses on the current trend of downsizing media companies in order to counter the sluggish market for their stocks. Viacom Inc. chairman Sumner Redstone has decided to separate the company's fast-growing cable television division from its slower-growing broadcast properties. However...