The next big thing
- One Father's Choice. Smith, Kyle; Stambler, Lyndon; Benet, Lorenzo; Dagostino, Mark // People;11/8/2004, Vol. 62 Issue 19, p109
This article focuses on the efforts of Robert Klein in promoting stem cell research in California. Robert Klein has made millions as a real estate developer but feels powerless. In California, Klein has sold buildings to raise more than $2 million to help fund Proposition 71, an upcoming ballot...
- Cell growth: RAC1 sizes up mTOR. Schuldt, Alison // Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology;Jun2011, Vol. 12 Issue 6, p343
The author discusses the study which observes that conditional deletion of RAC1 from primary mouse embryonic fibroblasts (MEFs), B cells or T cells reduced cell size.
- pluripotent, pluripotential. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p1809
The definitions of the medical terms "pluripotent" or "pluripotential," which pertains to an embryonic cell that can form various types of cells, or having a number of different functions, are presented.
- Back to the Future. Beardsley, Timothy M. // BioScience;Sep2007, Vol. 57 Issue 8, p643
The article discusses reports published within the issue including Sa Cai, Xiaobing Fu and Zhiyong Sheng on alternative ways of producing human cells using embryonic stem cells.
- JDF NEWS. // Countdown;Summer2002, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p48
Reports global developments related to medicine as of July 2002. Support of Australian Prime Minister John Howard for embryonic stem cell research; Sponsorship of the 'Roaring '20s Remembered' gala by UnitedHealthcare; Launch of the Arizona Chapter's Promise Gala 2002.
- Editorial. Knuuttila, Tarja; Hyssalo, Sampsa // Science Studies;Jun2007, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p3
The article discusses various reports published within the issue, including "From Core Set to Assemblage: On the Dynamics of Exclusion and Inclusion in the Failure to Derive Beta Cells from Embryonic Stem Cells," by Mike Michael and colleagues, and "Effects of 'Mode 2'-Related Policy on the...
- Non-injection methods for the production of embryonic stem cell-embryo chimaeras. Wood, Stephen A.; Allen, Nick D. // Nature;9/2/1993, Vol. 365 Issue 6441, p87
Contrasts the morulae aggregation and blastocyst injection techniques for the production of germline chimaeras. Same percentage of germline chimaeras for both methods; Pluripotency of the embryonic stem cells as the most critical parameter; Savings in time and equipment when using aggregation...
- Development: A new move for PRMT5. Huddleston, Joanna E. // Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology;Feb2011, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p76
The article discusses research study on the development of the protein Arg N-methyltransferase 5 (PRMT5) which references the study "Prmt5 is essential for early mouse development and acts in the cytoplasm to maintain ES cell pluripotency," by W. W. Tee and colleagues in the 2010 issue of "Genes...
- Europe dithers over regulations for stem-cell research. Abbott, Alison // Nature;12/11/2003, Vol. 426 Issue 6967, p595
Reports on Europe's debate on research using embryonic stem cells. Failure of research ministers of the European Union's (EU) member states to agree on whether EU funding should be available for research using human embryonic stem cells; Expiration of the moratorium on research funding;...