- Preventing stroke with evidence-based care. McCarthy, Robert // Patient Care;Jun2002, Vol. 36 Issue 8, p48
Outlines some evidence-based stroke prevention recommendations. Scope of the problem in the U.S.; Risk factors of stroke; Prophylaxis and treatment. INSET: This article at a glance.
- Urgent Care: (Stroke) Brain Attack. // Mayo Clinic Guide to Self-Care;2005, p7
Presents tips for preventing stroke. Types of stroke; Pathophysiology; Risk factors that can be controlled; Signs and symptoms.
- How to Prevent a Stroke. // American Family Physician;12/15/2003, Vol. 68 Issue 12, p2389
Outlines measures to prevent a stroke. Background on stroke; Risk factors for stroke; Effect of drug treatment.
- The Perindopril Protection Against Recurrent Stroke Study (PROGRESS): Clinical Implications for Older Patients with Cerebrovascular Disease. Ratnasabapathy, Yogini; Lawes, Carlene M.M.; Anderson, Craig S. // Drugs & Aging;2003, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p241
Blood pressure levels are strongly predictive of the risks of first-ever and recurrent stroke. The benefits of blood pressure-lowering therapy for the prevention of fatal and non-fatal stroke in middle-aged individuals are well established. However, until recently, there has been uncertainty...
- Secondary prevention for stroke in the United Kingdom: results from the National Sentinel Audit of Stroke. Rudd, Anthony G.; Lowe, Derek; Hoffman, Alexandra; Irwin, Penny; Pearson, M. // Age & Ageing;May2004, Vol. 33 Issue 3, p280
Study objectives: to measure the quality of secondary prevention of stroke provided to patients in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Design: retrospective case note analysis. Setting: 235 hospitals (95% of all such hospitals), providing care for acute stroke patients in England, Wales and...
- Fibrinogen is independent predictor of stroke in CAD patients. // Geriatrics;May95, Vol. 50 Issue 5, p60
Reports that fibrinogen is a major independent predictor of ischemic stroke in patients with coronary artery disease. Fibrinogen levels in ischemic stroke patients; Factors predictive of ischemic stroke.
- VOICES. Anionwu, Elizabeth // Nursing Standard;6/8/2011, Vol. 25 Issue 40, p26
Sickle cell disease has some little-known complications, says Elizabeth Anionwu.
- Migraine and Stroke. Thomas, Dafydd // Current Medical Literature: Stroke Review;2005, Vol. 9 Issue 2, p160
Studies evidence suggesting that migraine is an additional risk factor for ischemic stroke. Medical conditions that may be associated with both migraine and ischemic stroke; Mechanisms and clinical features; Risk factors for ischemic stroke.
- How to prevent strokes. // Consumer Reports on Health;Sep2004, Vol. 16 Issue 9, p1
Focuses on how to prevent strokes in the U.S. Characterization of strokes; Improvement of risk factors; Types of stroke. INSET: Surgery to prevent strokes: When is it worth the risk?.