Millionaires Support Estate Tax--Sort Of
- Facts defeat Ramsay principle. Greene, Chris; Maddalena, Christina; Wisdell, Ana; Whitehill, Clark // Accountancy;Jan1990, Vol. 105 Issue 1157, p53
Comments on the cases 'Hastings and another v. IRC' and 'Rt Hon Countess Fitzwilliam and others v. IRC' regarding single composite transactions and capital transfer tax in Great Britain. Details of the cases; Principle established in the case 'WT Ramsay Ltd. v. IRC.'
- Estate-tax debate raises wealth of controversy. Perry, Ann // Fairfield County Business Journal;05/14/2001, Vol. 40 Issue 20, p9
Reports debates on the need for wealthiest Americans to pay estate taxes in the United States. Elimination of tax by President George W. Bush; Arguments on meritocracy and the need for an estate tax; Disadvantages of the repealing of estate tax; Increase of exemption levels.
- Minnesota passes estate tax relief. ANDERSON, ROBERT // Farmer;Oct2011, Vol. 129 Issue 10, p60
The article reports on the introduction of an increased state estate tax exemption to five million U.S. dollars for 2011 and 2012, giving relief to farm and small-business owners in Minnesota.
- Be prepared for estate tax changes. Moore, Robert // Ohio Farmer;Apr2012, Vol. 308 Issue 4, p34
The article presents the author's view on the proposed federal estate tax exemption of U.S. dollars 3.5 million with a 45 percent tax rate for people of Ohio.
- Excepted estates. Greene, Chris; Meyer, Emanuel; Maddalena, Christina // Accountancy;Aug1996, Vol. 118 Issue 1236, p76
Reports that the limit for the excepted states procedure in Great Britain will be raised beginning July 1, 1996. Application to the estate of any person who died on or after April 6, 1996; Relaxation of rules concerning foreign assets and lifetime gifts; Absence of changes to rules governing...
- Is Unlimited Inheritance Un-American? Grote, Jim // Journal of Practical Estate Planning;Jun2007, Vol. 9 Issue 3, p15
The article examines ideological conflicts in the estate tax debate in the U.S. from a historical and contemporary perspective. Many criticize the moral and economic implications of the estate tax, while millionaires and billionaires are signing a petition for its retention. The author asserts...
- House Passes Estate-Tax Relief. Vaughan, Martin; Smallen, Jill; Mitchell, Charlie // National Journal;6/24/2006, Vol. 38 Issue 25, p34
The article reports on the U.S. House approval of an estate tax bill that would exempt most millionaires but keep the tax in place for the wealthiest families in the U.S. The U.S. Congress still has an opportunity to permanently reduce the tax they consider as burden to the small businesses and...
- A Great Day for Black Families. Alford, Harry C. // Washington Informer;12/23/2010, Vol. 46 Issue 60, p22
In this article, the author discusses the new legislation in the U.S. passed on December 17, 2010 which exempts tax rates on the fist five million dollars left by a deceased to his/her family. He says that the legislation can be benefited by the Black families because of the opportunity to...
- A Reply. Bartlett, Bruce // Public Interest;Fall2000, Issue 141, p74
Criticizes the egalitarian concept in line with the United States estate tax. Role of estate tax in wealth distribution; Wealth mobility and estate taxes; Bill to repeal the estate tax.