Female Genital Mutilation in the United States: Implications for Women's Health
- No End in Sight. Buckwalter, Rebecca // Harvard International Review;Spring2005, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p7
Reports on the progress on the elimination of female genital mutilation in Africa as of march 2005. Number of African Union (AU) member countries that must adopt the Maputo Protocol before the AU can enforce the protocol; Key obstacles to the ratification of the protocol; Beliefs of adherents...
- Genital mutilation may raise awkward issues for MDs after birth. Younger-Lewis, Catherine // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;10/15/97, Vol. 157 Issue 8, p1013
Describes the issue of genital mutilation that was discussed at an international conference hosted by the Federation of Medical Women of Canada. The question of resuturing women, who have undergone female genital mutilation (FGM) before puberty, and deliver a baby vaginally; The difference in...
- Pathological disorders of the female reproductive system in slaughtered camels ( Camelus dromedarius) in Saudi Arabia. Al-Afaleq, Adel; Hegazy, Aly; Hussein, Mansour; Al-Dughaym, Abdullah // Comparative Clinical Pathology;Jun2012, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p245
A study was made of the pathological and microbiological findings in the reproductive tract of 565 adult, barren female camels slaughtered in Saudi Arabia. The animals comprised 210 camels from the eastern, 180 camels from the central, and 175 camels from the western regions of the country....
- BOOKS AND DOCUMENTS. Ermini, Giovanna; Guelfi-Aidos, Valeria // Women's International Network News;Winter2001, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p42
Cites an annotated bibliography on female genital mutilation edited by Giovanna Ermini and Valeria Guelfi.
- KENYA: LOCAL COMMUNITIES FAIL TO STOP GENITAL MUTILATION. // Women's International Network News;Winter2003, Vol. 29 Issue 1, p40
Reports on the failure of the local communities of Kenya to stop female genital mutilation (FGM), according to Anne Nzome, program manager of the National Maendeleo ya Wanawake Organization. Districts leading in the FGM practice; Estimated number of girls undergoing FGM every year in Sambalu.
- Saying no to FGM. // Herizons;Winter99, Vol. 12 Issue 4, p11
Reports on Senegal's inclusion in the list of African countries to officially ban the practice of female genital mutilation. Estimated number of African and Asian women affected by the practice; Prison term for violators.
- Nurses and Requests for Female Genital Mutilation: cultural rights versus human rights. Sala, R.; Manara, D. // Nursing Ethics;May2001, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p247
In this article we focus on female genital mutilation. We analyse this problem as one of the most important issues of multiculturalism, which is also coming to the attention of the public in Italy as a consequence of the growing number of immigrants from African countries. The fundamental...
- Churches unite in effort to end female genital mutilation. // National Catholic Reporter;5/2/2003, Vol. 39 Issue 26, p6
Reports on the efforts of religious groups to end the practice of female genital mutilation in Kenya.
- Muslim clerics: Female circumcision not mandated by Koran. // Contemporary Sexuality;Jan2007, Vol. 41 Issue 1, p9
The article reports on the issues concerning Muslim clerics' points of view about female circumcision. During the human rights conference organized by Target, a German organization, many Muslim clerics have noted that the Koran was silent on the subject of female circumcision. Mohammed Sayyid...