Lipid Status in Female Athletes With Low Estrogen: Applications to Cardiovascular Risk
- BONE MINERAL DENSITY AND HORMONAL STATUS IN ADOLESCENT ATHLETIC GIRLS. GRUODYTĖ-RAČIENĖ, RITA; JÜRIMÄE, JAAK; SAAR, MEELI; CICCHELLA, ANTONIO; STEFANELLI, CLAUDIO; PASSARIELLO, CATHERINE; JÜRIMÄE, TOIVO // Acta Kinesiologiae Universitatis Tartuensis;2012, Vol. 18, p56
The aim of this study was to determine the relationships of bone mineral density (BMD) and content (BMC) with selected fasting hormones in adolescents with different exercise training patterns. The participants were female athletes of weight-loaded (n=23) and weight-supported (n=24) sports, and...
- Time to get over it. Schlosberg, Suzanne // Women's Sports & Fitness;May/Jun96, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p27
No abstract available.
- The mommy track. Foley, Nancy // Women's Sports & Fitness;Apr98, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p48
Examines the effect of pregnancy and childbirth on the performance of a woman athlete. Importance of cross-training during pregnancy; Effect of pregnancy on aerobic fitness; Effect of pregnancy on an athlete's mental toughness.
- Running on empty. Rapaport, Jennifer // Women's Sports & Fitness;May/Jun95, Vol. 17 Issue 4, p93
Looks at the danger of a negative energy state to female athletes. Causes of a negative energy state; Signs of energy imbalance; Female-athlete triad; Response of the body on energy imbalances; Importance of a balanced diet. INSET: Hunger strike, by J.R..
- Starved to perfection. Grace, Kevin Michael // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;05/12/97, Vol. 24 Issue 22, p21
Discusses the physical immaturity of female athletes. Idea of Will Self in the May/June 1997 issue of `Spy' magazine that athletes are killing themselves for our amusement; Number of female college athletes in the United States that suffer from amenorrhea.
- Loss of menstrual cycle may cause osteoporosis. // Total Health;Oct94, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p28
Reports that female athletes who experience amenorrhea are at risk for bone fractures and osteoporosis because of bone density loss. Preventive measure.
- Ultra slim & fast. // Psychology Today;Mar/Apr96, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p16
Focuses on health and body image myths in women athletes. Eating disorders; Comparison with ordinary women; Muscle content.
- Energy Deficit and Oligo/Amenorrhea: Implications of the Female Athletic Triad. Robert-McComb, Jacalyn J.; Massey, Marilyn; McTee, Angela // American Journal of Health Studies;1999, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p22
Presents information on a study which explores the energy deficit hypothesis among female athletes. Methodology of the study; Results and discussion on the study; Conclusions.
- The female athlete triad. Smith, Angela D. // Physician & Sportsmedicine;Jul96, Vol. 24 Issue 7, p67
Reports on the prevalence of the female athlete triad, a condition that affects women athletes characterized by disordered eating, amenorrhea and osteoporosis. Conflict on the thinness for appearance and optimal weight; Effects of disordered eating; Diagnosis of the female athlete triad;...