News & Notes
- Senate Banking Committee Drafting Transit Security Bill. Sanchez, Humberto // Bond Buyer;1/19/2007, Vol. 359 Issue 32550, p4
The article reports on the U.S. Senate Banking Committee's drafting of legislation that would provide funding to transit agencies in the country. It discusses the government's efforts to increase security for public transportation. According to Senator Christopher J. Dodd, the bill would likely...
- TEA-21 Extended Two More Months. Ichniowski, Tom // ENR: Engineering News-Record;5/10/2004, Vol. 252 Issue 19, p12
After overcoming a problem in the U.S. Senate, the Congress averted an April 30 shutdown of federal transportation programs. Final congressional action came one day before the deadline when the Senate approved a bill to keep highway and transit aid flowing for two more months. That action gives...
- After 'Fix,' Trust Fund Still Not Out of the Woods. Ichniowski, Tom // ENR: Engineering News-Record;8/10/2009, Vol. 263 Issue 5, p9
The article reports on the approval granted by the U.S. Congress regarding the infusion of 7 billion U.S. dollars to the Highway Trust Fund. It states that although the bailout was a relief to the trust fund, it will only keep the highway account solvent until September 2009. According to the...
- Local Transit Systems Ask Congress For More Federal Security Funding. Sanchez, Humberto // Bond Buyer;6/23/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31911, p5
Focuses on the appeal of American Public Transportation Association, representing the local transit systems, on the U.S. Congress for financing on the improvement of the security of bus and rail network. Worth of funds needed for national security; Concerns about the vulnerabilities of the U.S....
- Transportation Success. Sanchez, Humberto // Bond Buyer;3/3/2005, Vol. 351 Issue 32082, p1
The article reports that the U.S. House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee yesterday unanimously approved legislation that would provide $283.9 billion in guaranteed funding over six years, including funds spent in fiscal 2004, for highway and transit construction and related safety...
- CBO Warns Highway Fund May Become Insolvent by 2015. JAGODA, NAOMI // Bond Buyer;7/24/2013, Vol. 385 Issue 33950, p20
The article informs that the U.S. Congress would need to eliminate highway and mass transit spending from the fund to keep the Highway Trust Fund solvent in 2015.
- Group Says Security Upgrades for Public Transit Could Cost $6 Billion. Sanchez, Humberto // Bond Buyer;3/24/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31848, p5
Presents a survey of public transportation security. Identification of the need for budget in additional capital funding to maintain transit system security functions; Assessment of security funding needs; Expansion of transit system security.
- Senate Could Act on TEA-21 Extension Today, Majority Leader Tells Governors. Sanchez, Humberto // Bond Buyer;2/25/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31828, p4
The U.S. Senate could vote as soon as possible to extend the provisions of an expiring law that governs the nation's surface transportation programs in order to give Congress additional time to finish work on a six-year measure, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, told reporters after addressing...
- House Committee Unveils Highway Bill. Smallen, Jill; Mitchell, Charlie // National Journal;11/22/2003, Vol. 35 Issue 47/48, p3594
Reports the launch of a highway and mass transit bill by leaders of the U.S. House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee on November 19, 2003. Provisions of the bill; Information on the proposal approved by the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee.