Miners' autobiography: Text and context
- The echoes of Steep Rock Range. Michels, Bob // Northern Ontario Business;Aug99, Vol. 19 Issue 10, p5
Focuses on the achievements of the mining era in the town of Atikokan, Ontario. Contributions of mining to the growth of the town; Estimates on the volume of ore mined in the town; Conditions in the town's economy after the closure of the mines.
- The Calumet Tragedy. Wendland, Michael F. // American Heritage;Apr/May86, Vol. 37 Issue 3, p38
Focuses on the town of Calumet, Michigan which was, briefly, at the turn-of-the-century, a boomtown, enriched by the deposits of ore that made the region the chief supplier of copper. Reasons copper miners went on strike in 1913; Decision made by the owners of the mine; Tragedy which occurred...
- Mining in urban areas: methodological proposal for the identification and mediation of socioenvironmental conflicts. Bacci, Denise de La Corte; de Godoi Diniz, Tânia Maria Ramos // Rem: Revista Escola de Minas;jul-set2013, Vol. 66 Issue 3, p369
The conflicts generated by mining in urban areas are due to several reasons. In this paper we sought to identify the social actors and the dynamics of conflicts in the northwestern region of the SÃ¤o Paulo Municipality. This area presents aspects of environmental preservation, quarry...
- Ground penetrating radar study for hydrogeological conditions related with mining activity. Singh, K. K. K. // Environmental Geology;May2003, Vol. 44 Issue 1, p20
In the Bicholime, Goa, there is an iron-ore mine surrounded by villages and small towns. Exploitation of such an enormous amount of iron ore may disturb the local groundwater table, thereby causing groundwater depletion. However, these effects are dependent mainly on the geological formations in...
- GRAD I POVRATAK POTISNUTOGA. PROSTOR U ROMANU U REGISTRATURI ANTE KOVACICA. Duric, Dejan // Fluminensia;2009, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p83
The article focuses on various representations of the city and village in literature by Croatian realists, and discusses how the city space can be interpreted as a psychological entity and the conflict between the village and the city can be interpreted as the conflict between the Freudian...
- Northern view. Sawchuk, Oryst // Northern Ontario Business;Feb99, Vol. 19 Issue 4, p4
Focuses on the role played by the mining town of Cobalt in the history and economy of northern Ontario. Remnants of the early 1900s era in the community; Link of the mining industry to railway station; Present day Cobalt.
- Professionals drawn to city. // Northern Ontario Business;Jan2004, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p5B
Reports that young mining professionals from around the world are eyeing Sudbury as a place to call home. Observation that professionals from Australia, Dominican Republic and Africa and southern Ontario are building new homes in the Greater Sudbury area; Low interest rates; Limited resale...
- Want to Get Away From it All? Clark, Neil M. // Saturday Evening Post;12/8/1951, Vol. 224 Issue 23, p32
The article presents information on the town of Stibnite in Idaho. Stibnite is an isolated area and its winters are fierce but the place is good for fishing and hunting. Stibnite also has the greatest concentration of antimony and tungsten in the U.S. The town has the most up-to-date...
- THE BEAUTY OF NATURE, RUSSIAN STYLE. // New Yorker;11/10/1956, Vol. 32 Issue 38, p195
The article presents information on the town of Gorlovka in Donbas in Russia. It is considered one of the most beautiful towns of the region. The Khrushchov Avenue can be found in the town which is lined with tall poplars. The Kochegarka mine is the pride of Gorlovka.