Franchise Reform Stalls in Texas
- Franchise Matters: National Bill Not Likely This Year; State Bills Keep Moving. // CableFAX Daily;3/14/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 49, p1
Reports on a proposed national video franchising bill in the U.S. Options of local regulators regarding the bill according to Mike Bracy, a lobbyist with Bracy, Tucker, Brown & Valenzano; Background on the development of video franchising bills in New Jersey and Kansas that would benefit...
- California-Wide Franchises Sought. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;5/1/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 18, p3
Reports on the approval of a statewide cable franchise-reform bill by the utilities and commerce committee of the Californian Assembly on April 24, 2006. Ability of telephone companies to provide the full service aspects of the legislation; Support of SureWest Communications for the bill;...
- Franchise Fracas:. // CableFAX Daily;5/17/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 96, p2
Reports on the plan by the Louisiana Legislature to pass a statewide franchising bill in May 2006. Implications of the bill for cable operators in the state.
- Feelin' OK in Richmond. // CableFAX Daily;2/28/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 39, p1
Reports on the video franchise bill passed by the Virginia House and Senate. Significance of the bill for Verizon; Reason for the failure of other cable operators to negotiate a franchise deal in other U.S. states.
- BUILDOUT OR NO BUILDOUT? Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;5/8/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 19, p6
The article focuses on the anti-discrimination provisions in the cable-franchise reform bill sponsored by U.S. Representative Joe Barton (R-Texas). Barton claims that cable industry is just focusing on wealthy households and ignoring low-income consumers. The bill requires that a national...
- Franchise Fracas:. // CableFAX Daily;5/24/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 101, p2
The article focuses on the signing of a cable-backed franchising bill by the governor of South Carolina as of May 2006. The bill treats different video services alike, and also preserves local franchise fees. South Carolina Cable Television Association president Nancy Horne stated that the...
- State Franchising:. // CableFAX Daily;6/30/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 127, p1
Reports on the approval of a video franchise bill by a California Senate policy committee. Significance of the bill to cable television operators; Opposition of a group of mayors from Los Angeles against the video franchise legislation.
- S.C. Bill Seeks Speedy Entry. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;1/30/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 5, p18
This article reports on a legislation introduced in South Carolina that allows for a quick access to cable franchising in the state. There is a conflict between telephone companies and incumbent cable operators in several U.S. states. Details of the legislation are presented. Lobbying group...
- NJ. Moves Closer to Statewide Agreement. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;5/22/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 21, p6
Reports on the legislation passed by the State Senate of New Jersey for statewide franchising of cable television. Provisions of the Senate version of the bill; Requirements for video providers that plans to operate in New Jersey; Other U.S. states that passed their revised franchising legislation.