Sportskool Leaps A Big Hurdle
- BRIEFS. // Broadcasting & Cable;2/14/2005, Vol. 135 Issue 7, p24
Presents news briefs on television and cable broadcasting in the U.S. as of February 2005. Decision of WNIT to add the Sundance Digital FastBreak automation system; Background on a new means of checking the quality of outgoing video and audio of content providers; Description of cameras to be...
- Major Leagues On Demand. Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;1/19/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p44
Discusses the decision of the National Basketball Association (NBA) and the National Football League (NFL) to offer video-on-demand service through their digital cable networks across the U.S. Role of the VOD service in the NFL television channel; Distribution deals forged by the NFL Network...
- NFL kicks one through the uprights. Learmonth, Michael; McClintock, Pamela; Adalian, Josef // Variety;4/25/2005, Vol. 398 Issue 10, p19
Focuses on the deal between the U.S. National Football League and cable television network ESPN in May 2005. Comments on the reliance of the League to the performance of television broadcasting companies; Background of the agreement between the League and NBC in 1939; Importance of the League...
- Unnecessary Roughness. Consoli, John // MediaWeek;5/5/2008, Vol. 18 Issue 18, p15
This article presents the author's views on the U.S. Congress's Cable Act of 1992 and why it should have prohibited cable operators from owning national cable networks. The author discusses the charges of anti-competitive business practices and conflict of interests between NFL Network and...
- Comcast's NBC news... Cox's sixth ESPN HD market... TWC Ohio does DVR... Insight VOD plays in Peoria... Microsoft's IPG... Brady, Shirley // Cable World (10427228);5/12/2003, Vol. 15 Issue 19, p11
Presents updates on the cable television industry in the U.S. as of May 2003. Improvements in the video-on-demand service of Comcast; Plans of Cox Northern Virginia for the launch of the ESPN high-definition sports channel; Information on the video-on-demand service launched by Insight...
- Comcast an Early 'Sleeper' Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;10/24/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 44, p6
Focuses on the subscription video-on-demand (VOD) service being offered by Comcast Corp. via cable television network Showtime in the U.S. Inclusion of a proprietary Internet video package in the VOD arrangement; Television programs featured on VOD; Advantages of the service.
- Cable TV: Cold. Ward, Adrienne // Advertising Age;10/14/1991, Vol. 62 Issue 44, pS-18
Presents an update on cable television programming in the U.S. as of October 1991. Opportunity posed by the wars covered by CNN; Setback faced by ESPN in covering sporting events.
- INDUSTRY STOCKS. // Multichannel News;10/25/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 43, p44
Presents updates on the cable television programming industry in the U.S. as of October 2004. Decrease in earnings posted by Convergys Corp. for the year; List of the top cable companies in the country; Rights sought by XM Satellite Radio to air Major League Baseball games.
- Matching ratings to ad $$, ESPN comes out tops. Mandese, Joe // Advertising Age;4/12/1999, Vol. 70 Issue 16, ps2
This article reports that ESPN cable television network has derived more pure value per advertising impression delivered than any other U.S. programmer on television. It is difficult to isolate all the subjective factors that influence the price marketers pay to advertise on television, but the...