THE END OF COURTSHIP
- Rewriting the Exercise of Power in the Landuc Segment of the Old Swedish HÃ¦rra Ivan and ChrÃ©tienâ€™s Yvain. Sullivan, Joseph M. // Neophilologus;Jan2009, Vol. 93 Issue 1, p19
In his reformulation of the Landuc segment of ChrÃ©tienâ€™s Yvain, which unfolds in the heroâ€™s arrival in Laudineâ€™s realm, in his armed defeat of her husband, and in the hero and Laudineâ€™s courtship and marriage, the anonymous poet of HÃ¦rra Ivan (1303) proposes a...
- Great Expectations Studying with Leon Kass. Levin, Yuval // Humanities;May/Jun2009, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p10
The article focuses on the works on natural science by U.S. educator Leon Kass. He argued for a revitalized natural science and reconnected with its classical philosophical purposes. In his book "The Hungry Soul," he examines cultural practices and traditions and sought wisdom in the cultural...
- 'Miss Independent': gender and independence on the African continent. Imafidon, Elvis // Inkanyiso: Journal of Humanities & Social Sciences;2013, Vol. 5 Issue 1, p21
Modern African societies have emerged from rich cultural heritages and traditions tangled with an ambivalent colonial experience. One aspect of the rich African cultural heritage that has however persisted in post-colonial Africa is the perception of independent social living as a male dominated...
- For men only. // Marriage Partnership;Fall97, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p69
Presents a quotation by University of Chicago faculty member Leon R. Kass on marriage.
- How To Treat Your Man 1950s Style. Wells Jr., Charles B. // Insurance Advocate;03/27/99, Vol. 110 Issue 13, p18
Compares the 1950s from 1990s approach on how high school girls prepare for married life. Dinner preparation at home from eating out; Preparation by oneself from salon makeover; Thorough checkup of house from `maid-for-you' job.
- Child brides find a way to delay wedding day. Tuladhar, Pratibha // Asian Pacific Post;2/16/2012, p13
The article discusses the tradition in most Nepal communities in which girls are wed to a fruit and the sun before a man which allowed them to postpone child marriage.
- TWO MARRIAGE FORMS IN THE COMORO ISLANDS: AN INVESTIGATION. Shepherd, Gillian M. // Africa (Edinburgh University Press);1977, Vol. 47 Issue 4, p344
Examines the forms of marriage practiced in the Comoro Islands. Social structure of the Comorans; Attitudes toward the forms of marriage practiced by the Comorans; Preconditions of marriage among the Comorans.
- LEGAL INNOVATION AND SOCIAL CHANGE IN A PEASANT COMMUNITY: A SENEGALESE VILLAGE POLICE. Snyder, Francis G. // Africa (Edinburgh University Press);1978, Vol. 48 Issue 3, p231
Examines some of the limits in the possibilities of delegating new tasks to existing rural institutions by analyzing an attempt by rural Senegalese to expand the functions of an existing village institution. Description of the social setting and previous means of controlling stray animals in...
- MARRIAGE BRYN MAWR STYLE. // New Yorker;6/15/1968, Vol. 44 Issue 17, p80
An excerpt from a letter to the editor on marriage published in an issue of the "Bryn Mawr Alumnae Bulletin" in 1968 is presented.