Declarations of Innovation
- Cable's Place In the Unwired World. Bishop, Don // Multichannel News;11/28/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 49, p29
The article presents opinion on the decision of U.S. cable television networks to launch wireless Internet services. It emphasizes the implications of the launch of wireless Internet services for television broadcasting. It discusses the impact of the development of wireless-fidelity (Wi-Fi) on...
- MESHING THINGS UP. Kuhl, Craig // CED;Apr2006, Vol. 32 Issue 4, Special section p12
The article explores cable operators and municipal service providers' use of wireless mesh technologies as alternative to more traditional, but pricier wireless networks. Mesh networks use 802.11x access points as transmission nodes to provider short-haul connectivity back to centralized...
- Cablevision Unwraps Free Wi-Fi. Medford, Cassimir // Red Herring;9/4/2008, p2
The article reports on the completion by Bethpage, New York-based Cablevision of its largest free mesh Wi-Fi network in the U.S. The cable operator is spending $300 million on a mesh Wi-Fi network that will eventually cover commercial and other high traffic areas in its region. In choosing to...
- Wave Broadband Wades Into Wi-Fi. Stump, Matt // Multichannel News;9/26/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 40, p67
Reports on the installation of wireless fidelity equipment in the communication systems of Wave Broadband to provide wireless broadband access to subscribers. Benefits of wireless communication systems to the company; Total number of the company's subscribers; Cost of the installation project.
- VERIZON EXPANDS ITS REACH. Gandel, Stephen // Money;Nov2003, Vol. 32 Issue 12, p53
Over the past two and a half years, Verizon has spent $35 billion updating its telephone lines, expanding its wireless network and launching such technologies as Wi-Fi. If it upgrades its copper-wire infrastructure with fiber-optic cable, Verizon will have the ability to deliver cable television...
- CART Will Offer Its Teams More Incentives in 2003. Stone, David // Auto Racing Digest;Jan2003, Vol. 31 Issue 1, p14
Reports the business planning of the cable television network CART. Enactment of incentive plan; Creation of marketing opportunities to associate sponsors; Establishment of race title sponsorship.
- National cable nets challenged. Chunovic, Louis // Electronic Media;7/22/2002, Vol. 21 Issue 29, p1
Reports the business plan of Cable Connect, a local cable unwired network in the U.S. Improvements in the television programs of Cable Connect; Development of the advertisement to enhance programming; Strategies used to attract clients.
- Rebranded Nets Settle Into New Skin. Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;12/3/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 49, p10
Reports on the rebranding of cable television networks in the United States. Reasons of the change of programming philosophy; Effects of the rebranding on the distribution and viewership; Role of ratings on the success of network rebranding efforts.
- Migrating to data requires savvy business strategy. Kuhl // CED;Jul99, Vol. 25 Issue 7, p96
Stresses that definition of business strategy is necessary for cable operators expecting to compete in the emerging market of Internet and data-related businesses. Plant management; Costs associated with network services; Functions of network operations centers.